The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

:) Maybe there should be an advanced breeding theory thread for each breed. It's like when I got my first car, a VW bug. Loved that thing. Didn't have a clue how to work on it, just washed and waxed it incessantly. Didn't stop me from going to car shows and bugging racers with nitro tanks, or whatever. Subscribed to VW magazine, too. Like I was gonna be able to trick out my car like that. But it helped me take good care of my car, to the best of my ability. Talking theory is GOOD! Constant disclaimer of "ok, ok, I won't actually TRY that until I know what I'm doing" I think I am good at attaching! But, if there's a fear of contaminating newbie thought, a separate advanced thread would be fabulous. I'd listen, and pester, and try to sort it all out. That's how I show MY *Passion*! :)

The car people i hang out with would send you home crying if you asked the kind of questions of them that you ask here, the V dub folks must be much more laid back than other car folks.
No serious breeder wants to hear about someone crapping up their breed on purpose, plenty of people do that by accident. It would be more appropriate for you to ask about crossing birds in one of the the many X breed threads here on byc.

Protecting a breed is not just a RIR breeders trait, it is what real breeders do.

Walt

Jim,
I can't tell you all that! Man that's some top secret stuff your asking me about and I have shows coming up! I was just trying to give Jeff something to talk about! LOL!!

Ok, ok.... It's a production Red I got from Murry McMurry for my egg layer flock! lol!!!

Paul or Matt and 7 or 8 months in this pic.

CH

You don't have to supply Jeff with anything, he supplies the worms for those cans and seems to have an unlimited supply of them.

W

Last edited:
WOW Walt !!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Oh for pity's sake. Wasn't like I asked, "gosh, you know, like I'd really like to, ya know, have a rhody that like, lays blue eggs, man. Oh, and green ones on fourth Thursdays, for like Thor..."

I have *zero* intention of "crapping up" the breed. Thought we'd been communicating better than that. An out of country breeder asked if the RIR's kept to the Standard in this country featured any "braiding in of New Hampshire stock". I didn't know. So I asked. She seems convinced there is "inbreeding depression -- which is so common now that most breeders don't even know they've got it because they've never had a bird that was genetically healthy."

You'd probably *really* freak out reading the rest of the email. She certainly must have never seen any of the birds here. I certainly don't hear anything about frailties, or disease susceptibility, or impaired hatching, or birth defects or anything that would point to "inbreeding depression" with these lines.

It did seem to be a logical thing, and I've seen it in some of the old game fowl breeding writings I've been skimming, to bring in desired traits from outside *if needed*, and how to do that. Again, you'd have to be a Bob or a Walt or partnered with someone with years and years of breeding experience so you don't trial and error your stock into a box canyon you can't get out of.

As far as I can parse from the tone of the sort of kind of responses, is "No, that has not been a known practice here". Which. Is. Fine.

And, you are right. The VW community was always very patient and amused, rather than upset. What kind of person would be all pissy at a 15yr old girl interested in cars, anyway?

Done. The sun's out, chores to do. God bless.

You don't have to supply Jeff with anything, he supplies the worms for those cans and seems to have an unlimited supply of them.

W
WOW Walt I didn't notice the lil' lol "nowhere" in that post, my we are touchy touchy today. LOL

Just wondering Walt if you're a fan of Jeff Dunham's or is his Walter character just an ironic phenomenon?
(
) An
experienced
object
whose
constitution
reflects the
order
and
conceptual
structure
imposed
upon it by the human
mind
(especially by the powers of
perception
and
understanding
).

Walter

Not to be confused with Walter (Muppet).

Dunham with Walter, in a shot from a 2007 performance.​
Walter is a retired, grumpy old man with arms always crossed in discontent. Dunham was inspired to create Walter when he watched Bette Davis' final appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, giving her honest, unfiltered candor to Walter, and patterning Walter's frown on Dunham's own.[10] He has a brash, negative and often sarcastic view on today's world. He is a Vietnam War veteran and a former welder, and "doesn't give a ****" about anyone, especially his own wife and certain audience members. Walter has appeared in all four Comedy Central specials. He's been married for several decades, and when Dunham asks him if he remembers the happiest moment of his life after Walter tells him he has been married for forty-six years, Walter responds, "Forty-seven years ago!" Dunham created the Walter puppet himself, including both the initial sculpture and the silicone mold, though he eventually began using professional effects companies for the latter stages with his subsequent puppets.

and no, no cans of worms Here just afunin' wicha if that's acceptable, if not then, hey?
frow.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
I can't seem to find much information on rose comb RIR's. Of course I have read on your site Bob. I have to do some culling of young cockerels this fall and have to choose wisely. I have roughly 22 total, and it looks like I have more pullets than roos. My cockerals look pretty good to me as a novice. They are from Gary Underwood from mid to late april hatch. The obvious ones with defects of the comb I assume I should cull first. I have a couple that look like they are partial single combs that I will try to post a pic of. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Does anyone have info on rose combs ??? I read thru the links here on this site.

Last edited:
WOW Walt I didn't notice the lil' lol "nowhere" in that post, my we are touchy touchy today. LOL

Just wondering Walt if you're a fan of Jeff Dunham's or is his Walter character just an ironic phenomenon?
(
) An
experienced
object
whose
constitution
reflects the
order
and
conceptual
structure
imposed
upon it by the human
mind
(especially by the powers of
perception
and
understanding
).

Walter

Not to be confused with Walter (Muppet).

Dunham with Walter, in a shot from a 2007 performance.​
Walter is a retired, grumpy old man with arms always crossed in discontent. Dunham was inspired to create Walter when he watched Bette Davis' final appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, giving her honest, unfiltered candor to Walter, and patterning Walter's frown on Dunham's own.[10] He has a brash, negative and often sarcastic view on today's world. He is a Vietnam War veteran and a former welder, and "doesn't give a ****" about anyone, especially his own wife and certain audience members. Walter has appeared in all four Comedy Central specials. He's been married for several decades, and when Dunham asks him if he remembers the happiest moment of his life after Walter tells him he has been married for forty-six years, Walter responds, "Forty-seven years ago!" Dunham created the Walter puppet himself, including both the initial sculpture and the silicone mold, though he eventually began using professional effects companies for the latter stages with his subsequent puppets.

and no, no cans of worms Here just afunin' wicha if that's acceptable, if not then, hey?
frow.gif

Jeff
Since you keep track of everything how could you miss that I rarely use emoticons or lololo's ? I the only thing I have in common with the Walter you posted is that I have been married to my wife for 47 years.Kind of a strange post in the HRIR but....... I believe that you know full well what you post and the what intent behind it is ..........
lau.gif
wee.gif
lol.png

w.

Oh for pity's sake. Wasn't like I asked, "gosh, you know, like I'd really like to, ya know, have a rhody that like, lays blue eggs, man. Oh, and green ones on fourth Thursdays, for like Thor..."

I have *zero* intention of "crapping up" the breed. Thought we'd been communicating better than that. An out of country breeder asked if the RIR's kept to the Standard in this country featured any "braiding in of New Hampshire stock". I didn't know. So I asked. She seems convinced there is "inbreeding depression -- which is so common now that most breeders don't even know they've got it because they've never had a bird that was genetically healthy."

You'd probably *really* freak out reading the rest of the email. She certainly must have never seen any of the birds here. I certainly don't hear anything about frailties, or disease susceptibility, or impaired hatching, or birth defects or anything that would point to "inbreeding depression" with these lines.

It did seem to be a logical thing, and I've seen it in some of the old game fowl breeding writings I've been skimming, to bring in desired traits from outside *if needed*, and how to do that. Again, you'd have to be a Bob or a Walt or partnered with someone with years and years of breeding experience so you don't trial and error your stock into a box canyon you can't get out of.

As far as I can parse from the tone of the sort of kind of responses, is "No, that has not been a known practice here". Which. Is. Fine.

And, you are right. The VW community was always very patient and amused, rather than upset. What kind of person would be all pissy at a 15yr old girl interested in cars, anyway?

Done. The sun's out, chores to do. God bless.
OK, if you are still 15 I will give you more leeway.

w.

Thought I'd post a Rhode Island Red photo, the point of this thread, I guess.

She's a little Nelson pullet. Thinking NYREDS recognizes the look.

The white feathers on the neck are not feathers right? Just fluff from molting.

Very nice looking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom