The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I wish I could have ten dollars for people who worry about the yellow in the legs of their Rhode Island Reds. Do judges worry about that issue in picking their top choices?

Is their more important issues to think about. Like width of back being even, head points, legs dead center, vigor, extended keel to give you the oblong brick shape.

Seen a lot of people come and go because of that issue and worrying about color.

How ever, the person who carries the feed bucket makes the final call.
Thank you for your input. One judge did tell me at the last show that my bird didn't place better was because there was not enough yellow in the leg color.

I wish I could have ten dollars for people who worry about the yellow in the legs of their Rhode Island Reds. Do judges worry about that issue in picking their top choices?

Is their more important issues to think about. Like width of back being even, head points, legs dead center, vigor, extended keel to give you the oblong brick shape.

Seen a lot of people come and go because of that issue and worrying about color.

How ever, the person who carries the feed bucket makes the final call.

I think it is easier to focus on color than to see the other things. It takes more of a trained eye and experience to see type in a bird.

I think the type of a bird is easy to see. The legs in the center is what throws me off. I would think if they weren't in the center they would fall on there face or there azs!!!
gig.gif
Sorry Bob. Just thought that was funny!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. One judge did tell me at the last show that my bird didn't place better was because there was not enough yellow in the leg color.

A bird should not lose to another by one trait alone, unless both of them are equal in all other aspects of their standard.

I think the type of a bird is easy to see. The legs in the center is what throws me off. I would think if they weren't in the center they would fall on there face or there azs!!!
gig.gif
Sorry Bob. Just thought that was funny!!
big_smile.png

I like this. ha,ha,ha Maybe that's why some look like the rainy day chickens. lol

I guess I need to find a couple of birds. Matt, Do you have any birds for sale with the nice yellow legs with the dark horn coloring? I'll have to look closer at my pullets and separate out any with more yellow in the legs.

Cmom, it is not a genetic issue with the birds that you got from me it is the soil that you have there and what you are feeding them. I could send you some birds with glowing yellow legs and they would look just like yours in 2 months.

Matt

curious what do we need to feed them and what kind of soil is best.  I'm thinking I won't be changing the soil but the feed maybe.

Thank you Jeff, you took the words right out of my mouth. You have to look for feed with tagetes in it. I know some people that grind up carrots and feed to their birds to give them yellow legs.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom