The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
A few years ago my husband built me a couple of coops with only 3 sides because we live in Florida and the summer heat. I had my Rhode island Whites in one of the coops. I started loosing birds (killed). I couldn't find any way something was getting in. I have electric wire around the perimeter of all of the coops and pens. After a couple of mornings of finding dead birds and my survivors bloody I moved them to another pen. I put a game camera up. It was an owl killing the birds. I had 3 birds left, a male and 2 females. I need to mention before I put the birds in that pen they were in another pen that a coyote went in over the fence and killed several. I shot at the coyote and didn't see it for a long time (the first 2 pictures) but that pen had no electric around it. I built my RIW flock back up with those 3 birds. I did collect the eggs and put them in my incubator. Good luck...
These were the birds that the coyote attacked. The survivors were put into the open coop and pen. This one I usually use for a quarantine coop and pen.

After the coyote and the owl attack these were what was left. I put the survivors back into the quarantine coop and pen.

An owl. I have the owl on video killing one of the birds. It had killed some birds in some of the other pens too. I usually don't close the pop doors at night and they go in at night and out in the mornings on their own. After the owl I did go out and close all of the pop doors except there were none on the last 2 coops. I put a radio on hoping the noise from a talk show on the radio would keep predators away. I did put the netting up over the coops almost immediately. I haven't lost a bird since.

The coops after I put the tarps up and I covered all of the pens with a heavy duty netting. The white looking rope is electric.

the coop on the left is the one the owl got into.

These are the pens and coops now all covered.

I spent some time watching my chickens yesterday. The one RIR hen was checking out the nesting boxes. Her comb and waddles are now redder. I am pretty sure they are also getting bigger.
At any rate, what I found fascinating was the rooster was checking out the nesting boxes. As well, there was lots of chatter. Below is the translation.
"Look Honey, this one has three walls and a sloping ceiling. However, the pine shavings are a bit old."
Hops into the second box.
"Hey Honey, I really like this one. It has three walls and a sloping ceiling as well. The pine shavings seem to be a bit old but there is more. It should be softer and warmer for the eggs and chicks."
In fact, he went into the nesting boxes more times than she did.
I have had some of the young males do that too. They are soooo funny.
25r30wi.gif

A few years ago my husband built me a couple of coops with only 3 sides because we live in Florida and the summer heat. I had my Rhode island Whites in one of the coops. I started loosing birds (killed). I couldn't find any way something was getting in. I have electric wire around the perimeter of all of the coops and pens. After a couple of mornings of finding dead birds and my survivors bloody I moved them to another pen. I put a game camera up. It was an owl killing the birds. I had 3 birds left, a male and 2 females. I need to mention before I put the birds in that pen they were in another pen that a coyote went in over the fence and killed several. I shot at the coyote and didn't see it for a long time (the first 2 pictures) but that pen had no electric around it. I built my RIW flock back up with those 3 birds. I did collect the eggs and put them in my incubator. Good luck...
These were the birds that the coyote attacked. The survivors were put into the open coop and pen. This one I usually use for a quarantine coop and pen.

After the coyote and the owl attack these were what was left. I put the survivors back into the quarantine coop and pen.

I have heard horror stories about predators killing people's chickens. I think I would be devastated. Thank you for sharing your story. It's sharing like this that helps me to learn what to do, what not to do & what precautions can be taken. So far, we have been fortunate. The only thing I have had to deal with is our daughter's cat stalking the chickens & her dogs chasing them (the chickens in their pen & the dogs outside of it). We have 5 little, bully bantam roosters that help teach the younger birds how to keep an eye out for flying predators. I am grateful for that since we do have hawks that fly over & check to see what they can get into. My dog keeps the cat at a distance from the other birds. The cat doesn't bother the bantams. They are too feisty for her, I think. I know we may have to deal with loss of some of our birds sooner or later & I dread that day. Your story gives me hope too. Hope that we can actually build our flock with 2 pullets & our rooster & his spare.

@cmom
I really like your set up. I have some coops that are summer time coops that are very open. The birds love them until the first frost.

Thanks, We built the tall coop first and then each year we built another then another and so on. I promised my husband no more coops that I would make do with what I have.

I'd like opinions on this eye color....
I'd like some feedback on this eye color. I recently purchased a new 1502 incubator and hatcher. During lock down when you raise the humiditiy above 70% does that affect those still incubating on the turners. I know it is only for a short time, but the eggs are trying to loose 15% weight during the first 18 days.

Quote:
Did you purchase and incubator and a hatcher or an incubator you plan on hatching in too? I have an older GQF sportsman cabinet. I had 2 but sold one. Now that I only have one, I use it to incubate in. I do staggered hatches. I use my styrofoam incubators as hatchers. My concern would be if increasing the humidity for the chicks in lockdown, it could cause condensation in the air cells in the eggs incubating and if water builds up in the air cell, when the chick internally pips the air cell it can drown if water is in there. Maybe for the 3 days in lockdown that wouldn't happen. I really don't know for sure. Just my opinion. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
I'd like some feedback on this eye color. I recently purchased a new 1502 incubator and hatcher. During lock down when you raise the humiditiy above 70% does that affect those still incubating on the turners. I know it is only for a short time, but the eggs are trying to loose 15% weight during the first 18 days
The eye color looks fine.
There is no reason to raise your humidity the last couple of days of incubation and the term "lock down" is and internet sensation. I do neither and hatch a thousand chicks a year or more. I keep my humidity at 50% all the time and hatch away... If hatching chicks was half as complicated as some people on the internet make it sound chickens would be extinct.

Matt

I know others that leave their humidity around 50% during incubating and hatching. I don't know what your percentage of your hatching eggs is. When I left my humidity around 50% my hatches were 60%. Since I pay more attention to it my hatch rate has increased substantially. Just my opinion. Looking forward to seeing you at Lake City hopefully.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom