The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Day 19, early hatch. 4 new fluffy RiR in the world and more piping, fingers crossed
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Can someone tell me whether or not Standard RIR chicks can be sexed by wing-feather length. I'm at day 3 with 13 chicks and would love to know the ratio of male/female.
yippiechickie.gif
idunno.gif

Can someone tell me whether or not Standard RIR chicks can be sexed by wing-feather length. I'm at day 3 with 13 chicks and would love to know the ratio of male/female.
yippiechickie.gif
idunno.gif

If you can feather sex, you've got hatchery stock. Some hatcheries use "short feather" bred to "long feather" birds as a kind of sex link to forego the expense of vent sexing chicks.

As breeders of true Reds, we honestly don't care what sex they are. We need both sexes, obviously, to breed and maintain these birds.

yippiechickie.gif
idunno.gif
Only birds that are bred with this trait are sexable using the feather method... and even then it's not very accurate. You'll know in a few short weeks what the ratio is. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably around 50/50...
lol.png

If you can feather sex, you've got hatchery stock. Some hatcheries use "short feather" bred to "long feather" birds as a kind of sex link to forego the expense of vent sexing chicks.

As breeders of true Reds, we honestly don't care what sex they are. We need both sexes, obviously, to breed and maintain these birds.
+1.

Can someone tell me whether or not Standard RIR chicks can be sexed by wing-feather length. I'm at day 3 with 13 chicks and would love to know the ratio of male/female.:yiipchick :idunno  

They definitely can't be feather sexed, but according to one of my books they can be sexed by down color. The male's tops of their wings will be a lighter yellow than the females who have darker red colored shoulders. It also says the females will generally be a darker red color. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it worked for my five heritages. It seemed to me that the differences in wing color became more distinct with age. :)

Back
Top Bottom