The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

[COLOR=0000FF]Over all?   I see a trio that I would delighted to worth with.  Hatch off 50 chicks or more and sort through for those with improved features and more on.  Meanwhile, I would indeed be looking for a really sharp cockerel to help you along[/COLOR]. [COLOR=0000CD] Best regards,[/COLOR]
Agreed. Couldn't help but notice how lean the birds are, especially the cockerels. Pehaps a boost in protein (20%+)?

It is difficult to find a high quality Grower with 18-20 percent protein, animal proteins included, and a full slate of good nutrition. Those fortunate to be in the distribution area of Flint River Mills in the southeast US have some excellent choices. Show Gold for show birds.

Working with your local feed mill is sometimes challenging as they tend to fomulate their feeds for the commercial flocks in the area, either layer houses a mile long or feeds designed for the broiler birds. Our birds are basically a blip on the radar comparatively.

I always check the GameBird feeds. Often, they have better nutrition than the retail products typically sold at rural lifestyle stores. I don't recommend DuMor feeds at Tractor Supply, and realizing they have several mill/packers throughout the country, but the DuMor 20% Chick/GameBird Starter/Grower here has animal protein is isn't a horrible choice if other products cannot be found.

It is difficult to find a high quality Grower with 18-20 percent protein, animal proteins included, and a full slate of good nutrition.  Those fortunate to be in the distribution area of Flint River Mills in the southeast US have some excellent choices.  Show Gold for show birds.

Working with your local feed mill is sometimes challenging as they tend to fomulate their feeds for the commercial flocks in the area, either layer houses a mile long or feeds designed for the broiler birds.  Our birds are basically a blip on the radar comparatively.

I always check the GameBird feeds.  Often, they have better nutrition than the retail products typically sold at rural lifestyle stores.  I don't recommend DuMor feeds at Tractor Supply, and realizing they have several mill/packers throughout the country, but the DuMor 20%  Chick/GameBird Starter/Grower here has animal protein is isn't a horrible choice if other products cannot be found.  
I'm in the process of finding a F-R-M dealer in my area. As you said, DuMor is better than nothing. I've seen a dramatic change in my birds since putting them on Chick Starter and Stater/Grower. Fuller bodies (not fat) and much healthier plumage. The blend I'm using is around 22% protien, which will have to be scaled back until they start molting again. Hopefully I'll have sourced a better feed choice by then...

Chicks on average $8.00-$10.00 per chick. Started birds vary according to who is selling them but I would say the average price ranges between $25-$50 per bird depending on quality and age.

IV been going to Rural King for my chicks. I bought 6 Road island reds thay was 4 weeks old and thay look real nice. I don't know if yall have a Rural King where yall live if u do its worth checking out. Its my favorite farm store.

IV been going to Rural King for my chicks. I bought 6 Road island reds thay was 4 weeks old and thay look real nice. I don't know if yall have a Rural King where yall live if u do its worth checking out. Its my favorite farm store.
welcome-byc.gif
I think the Rural King here gets their chicks from Privett hatchery. I really don't know about their chicks. Rhode Island Red hatchery chicks are not nearly the same as the birds you'll find on this thread. Hatchery chicks are primarily bred for egg production. I think Fred may have posted this link quite awhile ago. I know it's not Privett hatchery, but hatchery chicks are just that not "Heritage Rhode Island Reds"
Good luck with your chicks and have fun...

Not the same birds that this thread focuses. Not at all. Egg layer production birds, that's all they sell. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom