The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

And so it begins... The hardest part of the year for people that raise show birds. Feed bills are high and the chickens are all ugly. June, July and August are always tough. Maybe I should cut back and it would be a bit easier!

Matt

I understand completely. Im at about 300 birds right now. Most i will have all year long. Definitely a chore everyday. Lots of individual pens for growing birds. Makes me question everyday why i do it. Come fall show season every hour we spend this summer will be worth it.

I understand completely. Im at about 300 birds right now. Most i will have all year long. Definitely a chore everyday. Lots of individual pens for growing birds. Makes me question everyday why i do it. Come fall show season every hour we spend this summer will be worth it.

We raise 400-600 per year. I think we will be around 450 this year because we cut back on a few breeds. Have raised as many as 700 but we won't do that again. We definitely question our sanity this time of year but like you said it is worth it from November to February.

Matt

I am in need of a show hen and rooster. I live in Pa and can't find anything around. I am willing to drive quite a ways (since it's too hot to ship)
We currently have Rose combs RIR Bantams from underwood. Unfortunately our lone rooster decided to take up roosting under a 2x4 and rubbed his feathers on his back rough.
We didn't thing 4h was going to have chicken club again this year so we let out birds free range.
We have peeps but nothing big enough to show.
My son has won grand and res poultry for 4 years with his birds, so we do know what we are doing.
We want to show 4h and Pafarm show in Jan. (We will have birds by then) but not for 4h show August 7th.
Anyone willing to help please contact me as we need to get birds this week if possible.

I made a salad today...

And it turned into a chicken salad...

I actually do this quite often...
wink.png

What does an 8 week old juvenile cockerel do when it comes out of the shade into the glaring, hot sunshine?

It plops to the ground and spreads out it's feathers like it's paralyzed...

All my juveniles do this, but this time I caught it on camera.

Last edited:
What does an 8 week old juvenile cockerel do when it comes out of the shade into the glaring, hot sunshine? It plops to the ground and spreads out it's feathers like it's paralyzed... All my juveniles do this, but this time I caught it on camera.
That is a great photo. I feel like that too in the heat we have had lately. :th

That is a great photo. I feel like that too in the heat we have had lately.
th.gif
Thanks. I feel the same way. The only reason I was able to get that pic is because I was drenched and taking a break. Upper 90's here with heat indexes in the 110ish area. I can handle the heat, but with the high humidity, it's brutal. Moisture doesn't evaporate, so we basically boil in our own sweat. Grrrrr..........

It's been hot here too and every day I have been turning on the sprinklers in the pens to cool the ground down and it also waters the trees which they like to lay under..

Back
Top Bottom