The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Have you resolved the security issue with your pens? Before you replace the chickens that you had with quality bred birds you need to secure your pens so that the new birds don't suffer the same fate.

Matt

My 3/26 chicks are now 31.5 weeks old, and still no eggs. Is it just because they are coinciding with the shorter days or is this abnormal?
These are my first true HRIR pullets, so I am not sure what is normal for them.

My 3/26 chicks are now 31.5 weeks old, and still no eggs. Is it just because they are coinciding with the shorter days or is this abnormal?
These are my first true HRIR pullets, so I am not sure what is normal for them.
Matt discussed this very issue on FB yesterday. Pure bred RIR normally start laying around 8-9 months old. With the days getting shorter, they slow down or complete stop laying. If they haven't started laying by the time you're ready to start breeding them, you can add artificial light to lengthen the photoperiod, which should induce laying.

Matt discussed this very issue on FB yesterday. Pure bred RIR normally start laying around 8-9 months old. With the days getting shorter, they slow down or complete stop laying. If they haven't started laying by the time you're ready to start breeding them, you can add artificial light to lengthen the photoperiod, which should induce laying.
Thanks, I am not a member of Facebook, but I will see if I can read it. What is his Facebook page?

Here's the post on FB. I hope Matt doesn't mind me sharing his post...

You can manipulate them with light but you can't change their genetics. No matter their age...the only thing that will alter their natural process is artificial light.
They are also just over 7 months old. Some pure bred birds take 8-9 months to get to point of lay.

I wait.

Here's the reason. Sure, I would light up the scrub egg layer's pen especially as I once had a small table egg business. Gotta keep those eggs coming.
smile.png
But I don't light up my top breed stock in fall. I wait.

I want them to mature naturally and finish in top size, weight and form. Breeding season is coming up faster than what we imagine. By February, we'll all be assembling our breed pens and will be wanting to hatch out March chicks. They'll have to lay by then and they'll need to be producing and using their energies for that purpose.

So, I let them rest right now in November and December. I don't need the eggs anyhow. I need those pullets to finish as big and strong and they can. Then? When the New Year rolls around, it's getting closer to the time. On or about Jan 15, if you're in a more southern clime, or Jan 30 if you're in the far north, flip those lights on. 14 hours a day. Get them laying. The first 12-18 eggs won't be big enough to set anyhow. No need to be in breeding pens yet.

By February 1st, (rough estimates) they'll be laying. Keep those lights on. You don't want to force a moult at the worst possible time. Get your breed pens together and begin your breeding rotation, egg collection and egg setting. 'Tis the season.

So, in short? If they start on their own, that's fine. Typically, these various lines commence laying at 30-38 weeks. But, there's no need to force them during weeks which are the darkest weeks of the whole year. Sunlight hours are in very short supply.

Dip/dust them once a month for pests as we find lice/mites are worse in the close confinement times of winter. Get them in prime condition for breeding. In January, worm everything in anticipation of breeding. We are only 90 days from "Opening Day", to borrow a baseball metaphor.

Last edited:

I wait.

Here's the reason. Sure, I would light up the scrub egg layer's pen especially as I once had a small table egg business. Gotta keep those eggs coming.
smile.png
But I don't light up my top breed stock in fall. I wait.

I want them to mature naturally and finish in top size, weight and form. Breeding season is coming up faster than what we imagine. By February, we'll all be assembling our breed pens and will be wanting to hatch out March chicks. They'll have to lay by then and they'll need to be producing and using their energies for that purpose.

So, I let them rest right now in November and December. I don't need the eggs anyhow. I need those pullets to finish as big and strong and they can. Then? When the New Year rolls around, it's getting closer to the time. On or about Jan 15, if you're in a more southern clime, or Jan 30 if you're in the far north, flip those lights on. 14 hours a day. Get them laying. The first 12-18 eggs won't be big enough to set anyhow. No need to be in breeding pens yet.

By February 1st, (rough estimates) they'll be laying. Keep those lights on. You don't want to force a moult at the worst possible time. Get your breed pens together and begin your breeding rotation, egg collection and egg setting. 'Tis the season.

So, in short? If they start on their own, that's fine. Typically, these various lines commence laying at 30-38 weeks. But, there's no need to force them during weeks which are the darkest weeks of the whole year. Sunlight hours are in very short supply.

Dip/dust them once a month for pests as we find lice/mites are worse in the close confinement times of winter. Get them in prime condition for breeding. In January, worm everything in anticipation of breeding. We are only 90 days from "Opening Day", to borrow a baseball metaphor.
Thanks for filling in the gaps, Fred. I left quite a few of them in my response...
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom