The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Thanks for the info. Can you give your thoughts on the birds? Other eyes are always better. Ill get the book and researchthough

25 weeks old

@Ur-ur-ur-urrr@cmom@Fred's Hens
I set my first batch yesterday! This is a mixed group just for numbers after loosing my best pullet from my group. I will be separating my three from Fred's two for the next batch that I plan to do after these hatch.
Good luck with your hatching this year!

Slowly getting rid of some of the older birds to make room to set up my breeding pens. Running a bit late this year. The older Red gals aren't laying very well anymore so they have to go to make room. My older RIW gals are laying good.

What could be improved?

Can't say for sure from the pictures but from what I see, the male's tail looks somewhat sloppy and too high, and his back looks a bit off. My interpretation of the APA SOP is the back should be moderately broad it's entire length, carried horizontally, tail medium length, well-spread carried at an angle of 20 degrees above horizontal. I posted some pictures in the above post of some of the males I have had. Different people will most likely have different perspectives, this is just some of what I see, they may improve as they get older. I have not been on for awhile, did you post the ages?

Last edited:
I am about to set up breeding pens, and I had a question. Should I select according to the standard of perfection, or according to what is winning? In particular, the tail angle seems lower in the birds that are winning than what the standard calls for. I know tail angles have come down in the standard of perfection over the years, so I did not know if that was anticipated to happen based on what is being shown and what is winning.

Back
Top Bottom