The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

'Heritage' is just a concept. It means the bird fits various qualities, such as reproduces naturally, long lifespan, slow growth, etc. Not necessarily that they are good quality birds that fit the standard.

If you are asking for critiques, I can say they look nothing close to what a good red should look like. They are scrawny with tiny pinched tails held up almost perpendicular to their backs. They are much lighter than they should be. They have bad combs and heads and beaks. And pale leg color.

I hatched these RIR about 8 months ago. Anyone care to critique them? Are they heritage? Please forgive that it is raining and they are wet and I couldn't get a good pic of the rooster. He kept is neck stretched out watching hawks flying overhead. Any feedback is welcome.

welcome-byc.gif
They are Production Reds. For one thing they aren't the correct color and I don't see any of the horn color on their legs and they they hold their tails too high. Just a few things that I see.

These are pictures of birds that were from my 2015 hatch.

Last edited:
I hatched these RIR about 8 months ago. Anyone care to critique them? Are they heritage? Please forgive that it is raining and they are wet and I couldn't get a good pic of the rooster. He kept is neck stretched out watching hawks flying overhead. Any feedback is welcome.

100% Production Reds. White legs, funky combs, wrong type, tails way too high, light color, etc., sets this strain apart from purebred standards. Look at your birdss, then look at these, and you'll see a world of difference. Notice the full breast and wide sweeping tail on the pullet? Her back is usually flatter, but not so much in this picture. Notice how the combs follow the contour of their skulls, and there aren't excessive points. These birds should to be a deep, dark mahogany color, with a rectangular (brick shaped) body.

Last edited:
WOW! You have gorgeous birds! What a difference. I have never seen true heritage RIRs. Thanks for taking the time and showing me the real thing.

WOW! You have gorgeous birds! What a difference. I have never seen true heritage RIRs. Thanks for taking the time and showing me the real thing.
Thank you. Believe it or not, photos can't capture the true essence of these birds... they are much more impressive in real life. If/when you get to see any in person, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I recently had to sell a lot of birds but I have a lot of chicks. Time to move birds around again and get the chick coops and grow-out coops back in order for the new generation.

A few photos for you, Fred, of the "white" cockbird (not the best - he doesn't let me get close enough to get decent close ups out in the field). Unfortunately he lost the tip of one of the points of his comb to frostbite this past winter.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom