The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Hi John,

Yes, those are very nice Hatchery RIRs. They will lay a lot of eggs for you, so if you want to get Heritage RIRs, you should move the hens into a layer flock and maybe process the rooster. I don't know if you are into it, but at 6 months the rooster is ready. Not that he isn't a great rooster for taking care of the Hens, just not great for getting SQ Heritage RIRs.

Lots of BYCrs are working on Heritage RIRs this year. Next year you should be able to get back on this site and order some chicks form NYReds, Fogelly or one of the others here.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Ron
Hello. I just got a RIR rooster and three pullets from a family that was moving out of state. They are somewhere around 6 months old. I was curious to know if these look like breeder type RIR or just typical hatchery birds? The Rooster seems to be getting some nice color. I would love to have some true Heritage RIR but would like to know where my RIR falls as far as breed standards.

Thanks,

John

Those are some of the best Production Reds I have seen in years. They have darn good type just lack deep even rich color. These look like many of the pictures I have seen in old Rhode Island Red Journals back in 1910 to 1920s. The type was not even this good back them. Excellent contrast in what we are trying to get into the hands of a few people and what others look like. They also are in great feather and health. Thanks for pictures I know the day will come when you have the darker kind just hang in there. bob

Bob,
Where do you find those old journals to read? I have seen some of the google books and down loaded them, great stuff to read from the old timers.

I got these from a fellow named Choice Culver, Franklin J. Young, R. Paul Webb and Kenny B owl es. I also got the original journals from the Editor Andrew Studers daughter be for she died. Mr. Stauder had Rhode Island Red Journal, Leghorn World, Wyandotte Hearld and Plymouth Rock Monthly.

I once made copies of about 200 pages called the best of Rhode Island Red Journals we sold them for $20 as a fund raiser when I was President of the R I Red club. We also made three Videos called Rhode Island Red Tour 2000 2002 and 2003 back then. The only breed club that ever did this back then. They where put on a DVD by John in North Carolina. Priceless stuff. If you live near a major Vet Library like Ames Iowa, Knoxville, Tenn ect you may find old Journal in the Library.You can not check them out but you can look at them and make copies of the articles with their copie machine. I did this at University of Tenn when I lived in Knoxville be for I moved here. Once in a while you will find these on E bay . Most of my articles I wrote where from these articles or personnel interviews be for the old timers died. They are on my web site.

The promise I made to the masters who gave me all these Journals and red Chronicles is I would not take the secrets to my grave so they passed on to me their secrets and I tried to put them in writing.

If a person would copy all of them and put them in a book type format with experience in Ten years you should be a very good Red Breeder. If you disobey the laws of breeding R I Reds for color you will be like most people Here today gone TOMORROW breeders. bob

http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/index.html

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help. I had sent Bob an email to find out where I could find some of these beautiful heritage birds. Hopefully I will make it to the show in Clanton, Alabama this October that Bob told me about.
I would love to have a few of those Heritage Mohawk RIR's to get started with.

One more question. The hens are just starting to lay. However, I noticed they are laying a very light colored egg. One of them is laying a cream colored egg not even brown really. Is that normal even for hatchery RIR's. Perhaps that will change with time. They are still small to medium sized eggs right now.

Thank you everyone for your help. I had sent Bob an email to find out where I could find some of these beautiful heritage birds. Hopefully I will make it to the show in Clanton, Alabama this October that Bob told me about.

One more question. The hens are just starting to lay. However, I noticed they are laying a very light colored egg. One of them is laying a cream colored egg not even brown really. Is that normal even for hatchery RIR's. Perhaps that will change with time. They are still small to medium sized eggs right now.

You will love them
thumbsup.gif

My Hatchery RIR's lay Large to xtra large light brown to med. dark brown eggs. They will sometimes change color a bit after the first pullet eggs, but usually they start out darker at the beginning and get lighter towards the end of the laying cycle. It often takes the brown layers a couple of eggs before the paint jets fire up.

Ron

Egg color depends on what strain you have. My Heritage RIR lay an egg that is lighter than any hatchery Reds I owned in the past.
I can remember my grandfathers RIR. He had that strain for years (until around 1975) and they also layed lighter eggs than hatchery reds.

Ron

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom