The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
This is NOT my photo but wanted to show everyone the exact bird that visited me three years ago in February. No fences in the sky. I sure wish I would have gotten my own pic of it. It sounded like a giant wasp It was so loud! He was an awesome sight.
What an exquisite jewel. Have never seen that one before.

I love my Canon. I took this shot of a little Rufous and when I put the SD card in my computer I just had to laugh. Looks like he's conducting an orchestra or a sing-a-long. :lau
You take amazing pictures. He does look like he is doing that. Very cute little bitty bird.

Its called a Violete Sabrewing. I had to look it up,
I have heard of other exotic ones after hurricanes or big tropical storms come thru.

Last edited:
@Blooie thanks for the link to the hummer info. We should still be seeing some birds so I put some fresh nectar out, maybe that will draw them in.

I am wondering when these guys fly south. We are in Utah. Come to think of it, haven't seen any in a couple of days, but haven't really been watching. DH said he saw one a few days ago. They may be off!

Yeah I think mine are about done here in Northern Wyoming too, so I'm now down to 1 feeder in case any stragglers come by. There is a fall migration map you can go to and it will show you that the movement is underway.
You take amazing pictures. He does look like he is doing that. Very cute little bitty bird.
Thanks. It's been a learning process, that's for sure!

Its called a Violete Sabrewing. I had to look it up,
I have heard of other exotic ones after hurricanes or big tropical storms come thru.
Glad you provided the name for that one, destinduck. Sure is gorgeous!

This was a link from the MSN home page today:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/the-hummingbird-60-meal-a-day-diet/vi-AAdXKBU?ocid=OIE9MSE

I don't think there was anything "new" about the info, but the photography was nice.
It was nice! I especially liked the little Black Chinned on the feeder. Those and Calliopes are my favorites. I only have a couple of pictures of Calliopes, and they aren't the best I've ever taken. But I have still to catch the Black Chinned. I'll get him yet, though...you watch and see if I don't!

I have contributed to those maps for a few years - missed last year I think because we had so much going on with Kendra. I posted a link a couple of pages back, too.

Found a not so good shot of a Calliope. I was sitting on the deck and he flew up right in front of the camera...I barely got the remote shutter pressed and he was gone.

Oh Blooie, the coloration on his throat is amazing! I think that's a wonderful photo, he looks like a dancer.

Back
Top Bottom