The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
Tablecloth isn't out yet - I'm a little late this year but it'll be out by early next week, along with the "bait" feeder. Sounds like you are all ready - now comes the patience part. I don't put much feed in the feeders in the beginning - maybe enough to bring the level two inches above the round part on the bottom where the ports are. I can get by with changing the food out every 5 days or so because it's still cool most of the day and cold at night. It makes no sense to fill it to the top, get no hummers feeding, dump it out and do it again every couple of days, so that's why I don't fill the scout feeder very full.

In the summer, I can't wait 5 days between dumping and feeding. The summer heat makes the sugar water and the feeder get yucky and it only takes a couple of days in the hot sun for the sugar water to actually sour and even begin to mold. But by then I have dozens of hummers feeding and fighting so I don't mind dumping, rinsing and refilling every 3 days or so. I make up the food in large quantities, fill a clean, empty plastic fruit juice container marked "Hummer Food" and store it in the fridge. Then when I bring in feeders, empty and rinse them, there's cold, fresh sugar water all ready to put in them. They really hit the feeders when that chilled sugar water goes out.....like the difference between a warm beer and a nice cold one, I guess!
wink.png

The patience part is harder to come by. Fill, wait, empty, fill, wait, repeat until you're almost ready to give up and then BAM! you see one!

You can go to this site and watch the migration of these flying flowers.....keep an eye out for your area and you'll have a better idea when to expect them. This site is geared for school but I've found it to be an invaluable resource. And remember, just because there's no "dot" in your area doesn't mean there are no hummers in your area - it just means that nobody has reported them!

https://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/

Edited to add: A quick check shows that there are sightings in southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois. Just enlarge the map and then click on a dot to see sighting information. Get ready.......

Last edited:
We've had one come for a week now. I think it's just one, but he comes to the feeder every day.

ETA: I'm in north FL.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Blooie for the answers to my questions. We don't have a dot in our area yet but it looks like they are moving in my direction. I bookmarked that site so I can check it later on. Thanks for the tip for making the sugar water ahead of time and storing in the fridge. I use 2 cups of water to 1/2 cup of sugar and bring water to boil then pour in sugar and stir to disolve. Is that how you make yours? I'll let you know when the hummers come I'm really trying to feel positive about this.
big_smile.png
I'm not going to give up this year.

LOL, I just edited my post to add my area...north FL, between St. Augustine and Gainesville.
It's probably a lot warmer there and they come earlier. I hope your little hummer checks out Southern Indiana here on his trip north. I've only seen one in the yard years ago.

It's probably a lot warmer there and they come earlier. I hope your little hummer checks out Southern Indiana here on his trip north. I've only seen one in the yard years ago.

I hope you get some too, they are just too cute and so fun to watch.
fl.gif

As long as you keep that 4:1 ratio you'll be fine. 4 cups water to 1 cup sugar or 2 cups water to 1/2 cup sugar or, if you have to make it up like I do, 16 cups water to 4 cups of sugar!
th.gif

Blooie that's a big batch 4 cups of sugar with 16 cups of water. How many feeders do you all have? I have 2.

Back
Top Bottom