THe idiocy of some people

Quote:
I totally agree!!!

I think too many people are involved in what is correct regarding raising YOUR children. If you aren't causing them mental, emotional, or physical LASTING harm....let them be. Why LASTING- because my whipping your butt for kicking your sister is: mental (I made you think about it and probably let you know that you are being an A$$), emotional (I probably made you cry by reminding you that family sticks together and that you don't kick girls), and physical (I utilized a belt on your behind). None of it is lasting damage.
If you don't have the respect of your children when they are young, how do you expect to have it when they are older?
However you parent, as long as you are raising productive, happy, good people...go you.
I personally try to rule our family with love, but fear works if nothing else. Fear of no video games, fear of extra chores, fear of no dessert, fear of your sibling getting to do something special and you don't, etc.

Maybe we shouldn't be judging the parents here. For all we know, this is a first. These kids may have been perfectly behaved when left in the car for a while before, and do we actually know if the kids were siblings? I think we all can attest that kids act stupider when hanging out with friends. Studies have even been done on it.
And remember that the OP is GUESSING on ages. She said they were ABOUT 10 and 12. I know a 13 year old boy who looks nine, and once knew a 16 year old who looked about ten. We can't KNOW how old these kids were.

But regardless of age, OP, I think you did the right thing getting somebody to put a stop to it.

Quote:
I totally agree!!!

I think too many people are involved in what is correct regarding raising YOUR children. If you aren't causing them mental, emotional, or physical LASTING harm....let them be. Why LASTING- because my whipping your butt for kicking your sister is: mental (I made you think about it and probably let you know that you are being an A$$), emotional (I probably made you cry by reminding you that family sticks together and that you don't kick girls), and physical (I utilized a belt on your behind). None of it is lasting damage.
If you don't have the respect of your children when they are young, how do you expect to have it when they are older?
However you parent, as long as you are raising productive, happy, good people...go you.
I personally try to rule our family with love, but fear works if nothing else. Fear of no video games, fear of extra chores, fear of no dessert, fear of your sibling getting to do something special and you don't, etc.

Yeah I'm a BAD parent for disclipining my kid, spanking her and our counselors wanted to call the DCFS on us about that we should "reason" with our daughter. Yeah talk about blue in the face type of talk and it got no where. One or two swat in the rear, she really straightened up.

When I was 12, I was home alone when my parents gone for the day to see their relatives. I took care of the dogs and cats, inside and out, in the country. And don't open the door to anyone.

Any parent would KNOW about their kids, the level of their maturity, how they can trust them being in the car themselves. Sure they might horseplay but if the parent finds out, they probably got a scolding for it. They TRUSTED their kids in the car, it not like a five year old in the car. That would concerns me unless that kid is so focused on his games.

What happened when the parent came back? Nothing really has been said about what happened.

Last edited:
Quote:
I totally agree!!!

Yeah I'm a BAD parent for disclipining my kid, spanking her and our counselors wanted to call the DCFS on us about that we should "reason" with our daughter. Yeah talk about blue in the face type of talk and it got no where. One or two swat in the rear, she really straightened up.

When I was 12, I was home alone when my parents gone for the day to see their relatives. I took care of the dogs and cats, inside and out, in the country. And don't open the door to anyone.

Any parent would KNOW about their kids, the level of their maturity, how they can trust them being in the car themselves. Sure they might horseplay but if the parent finds out, they probably got a scolding for it. They TRUSTED their kids in the car, it not like a five year old in the car. That would concerns me unless that kid is so focused on his games.

What happened when the parent came back? Nothing really has been said about what happened.

Ewe you're one of the sweetest people on BYC, and yet a counselor wanted to call DCFS. That shows how carried away people get when wanting to control how others raise their children. Also I wonder about that too. Did these parents get in trouble for leaving their children? Did someone call child welfare?

Okay, now even when I was at that age, my parents never left us in the car. We either went in the store with her and behaved, or we were left at home. While we would have never done anything stupid, my parents knew accidents happen or that someone could grab us out of the car.

When I was 12, my mom dropped me off at O'hare airport. From O'hare I went to St. Paul and from the there I went to Seattle and from there I flew to Japan. Of course, my relatives were waiting to pick me up in Japan but in between drop-off and pick-up, I was on my own and trusted to find my connecting flights, pick up/check-in luggage, etc.. Nowadays, I suppose my mom would be locked up for that.

I can't really comment on the OP situation at walmart since I wasn't there. However, as a general rule I think most people have become way too nannyish with kids.

I did not read all the post so sorry if this was all ready mentioned.

I am looking at the siuation like this: With all the sick people out there, I would be afraid someone would snatch the kids. I would over look the truck is running with children inside playing around. To me there is a neon sign flashing: hey you pediphiles or people who love to kill children come get us we are in a running vehicle to help you take us to your sick world. Sorry be so..... cruel but how many times it is in the news something happens to child from some sicko.

Gosh we live in a very rural country side area. Just cow pastures and one or two houses on the road we live off of. My son at the time (16) wanted to walk from the Sports Bus drop off to home (6:30 pm, dark) because he thought it was being to much for me. I had to go to work but, me picking him up 5 miles away is first. I flatly told him any wierdo can drive by and take him, does not matter how old he was. If that person wants someone he will do it.

Yes, each child is different in maturity. Good chance those kids were fine but unfortuntly the world we live in now we have to look beyond that.

My 2 cents

Quote:
Yep,.. thats the main concern...
The world is getting sicker and sicker... these perps WILL take your kid right out of your car in a parking lot...
Its like a dream come true for them... easy pickings..

Back
Top Bottom