The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
We are now breeding these amazing gentle giants. The flock we have is from 3 unrelated breeding pairs from Greenfire Farms. They are wonderful! We have both Diamond and standard Jubilee colors

Information I gathered from UK websites....
The Jubilee was created to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. It is a bit of a mystery as to exactly what breeds were used to create it, but it is believed to be a descendant of the speckled sussex, and some say the buff orpington.
The feather pattern which makes the Jubilee, is a very complex color, and maturing birds can take up to 18 months to be 'finished'. The shaft should be a dark mahogany with a clear black band, finished with a white tip, or 'pearl' at the end.
There are two different types of the color variation, a darker mahogany ground color which is the traditional Jubilee kind, and a lighter more 'ginger' or buff ground color known as the Diamond Jubilee

Here are a few pictures of the parent stock from Greenfire Farms.

41441_jubilee.jpg

41441_jubilee_roo.jpg

Interesting discussion about the down coloring.
I breed the jubilee Wyandotte bantam variety and see those same down colors.
Since last year I started to follow the individual differences between the chicks with different down colors.
Eventually I only had 2 roosters with those stripes on the back when they were chicks. The other 6 chicks with those stripes became hens.
As mature birds, those who had the stripes in their down ended up darker and with less white.
I kept both roosters and 4 hens + 3 hens who were "normally" colored as chicks.

2013 , my first jubilees

2014, next generations

2015 chicks from March 2nd
Stripes

Normal down

I have read that some of the jubilees are based on e^b/e^b an others on E^Wh/E^Wh.
The first variety would have those stripes.
When you mix both varieties I've heard you end up with a mix like here above.

@Odelia & @kittydoc , maybe it's interesting to keep records of your chicks.
When interested in the evolution of the different types of down, let me know.
I have some more pictures about different age stages.

@mollybuck and all others that are interested, I have some new pictures.

2 older hens, left : blue laced gold x jubilee, right : splash x jubilee.

3 chicks out of blue laced gold x jubilee, the chick with the lightest blue is a hen, the black marked chick is a cockerel, still have my doubts about the darker blue one.

3 light colored blue hens.

2 darker colored blue hens that are taking longer to get their first feathers.

The remaining 3 out of 5 boys. One of them is the same age as the hens on the first picture.

Hope to see some pictures of your chicks @mollybuck !
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom