The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Thanks Jeremy, that is what I got. At least they look blue as chicks. Should I cross them with each other first or go back to parents+sibling. The Orp Rooster I used had red leakage. I want to establish the color first. In one line I am trying to replace the white in the jubilee pattern with blue.

If it were my project, I would breed the siblings together first. Breed them together and then a percentage of their offspring will be pure for the mottling gene, so they visibly will be Mottled. When you have visibly Blue Mottled birds with red leakage then I would cross back to the pure Jubilee parent birds and continue from there.

You will not be able to replace the white in the feather with Blue. What you will be diluting is the Black band on the feather, it will turn Blue. So the feather will look something like this.

Normal Jubliee colored feather.

jubilee%20feather.jpg

Blue Jubilee colored feather, please excuse my terrible photo editing skills. LOL.

The mottling gene does not cause a white mark on top of the normal feather color but it is actually a lack of pigment that causes the tip of the feather to whiten, followed by the black band and the ground color of the bird. So you cannot dilute the white mare with Blue because there simply just isn't any color to dilute.

Blue Jubilee will look something like this.

blueJubileePullet1.jpg

blueJubileePullet2.jpg

Last edited:
So is there a way to put blue over the white tip? maybe a blue orpington? down the line a ways? How many generations is the hen in the picture from the initial cross?

If it were my project, I would breed the siblings together first. Breed them together and then a percentage of their offspring will be pure for the mottling gene, so they visibly will be Mottled. When you have visibly Blue Mottled birds with red leakage then I would cross back to the pure Jubilee parent birds and continue from there.

You will not be able to replace the white in the feather with Blue. What you will be diluting is the Black band on the feather, it will turn Blue. So the feather will look something like this.

Normal Jubliee colored feather.

jubilee%20feather.jpg

Blue Jubilee colored feather, please excuse my terrible photo editing skills. LOL.

The mottling gene does not cause a white mark on top of the normal feather color but it is actually a lack of pigment that causes the tip of the feather to whiten, followed by the black band and the ground color of the bird. So you cannot dilute the white mare with Blue because there simply just isn't any color to dilute.

Blue Jubilee will look something like this.

blueJubileePullet1.jpg

blueJubileePullet2.jpg

No, you will not be able to change the color of the white tip. Think of the white tip as an absence of color, the color literally has been "pushed away" from the tip of the feather. So if there is no color there you cannot use another color to change it.

Blue dilutes Black, anywhere on the Jubilee that there is Black it will be diluted to Blue.

I'm not sure how many generations into the project that hen is, I'm sure she is quite far along though.

Hi my name is Heath I am using my roomies profile since we share a computer anyway its easier than signing in and creating my own acount....Being Lazy and he dont care. Any way I have been looking at getting some Jubilees but I was told that they are not very hardy. How is your hardy is your line? What do you sell you egg or chicks for? Thanks Heath
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom