The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
Has anyone ever seen faint chipmunk striping in the down of their newly hatched Jubilee chicks? I have one, with the down still somewhat damp, that has faint chipmunk striping. I KNOW it is a purebred Jubilee, unless my hens have mastered the art of teleportation! I am only breeding lavender, black-lav split, and Jubilees right now, and so even if I mis-marked an egg, the color from Day 1 makes it obvious of what color the little Orpington is going to be.

This is only the second Jubilee chick I have hatched, and the first chick did not show this. From my limited reading, in breeds that have it, chipmunk striping is more common in females than in males. The chick I hatched previously looked like a future roo to me, based upon its prominent comb for a newly hatched chick. This second chick does not have a prominent comb at all. It would be handy if the temporary striping means it's a pullet!

I suspect that this chipmunk striping is going to be invisible or barely visible by the time the down fully dries.

Thoughts??
Also curious...

Last edited:
Not an expert but my chicks all had some chipmunking on them and their beautiful jubilee's now. :)

Has anyone ever seen faint chipmunk striping in the down of their newly hatched Jubilee chicks? I have one, with the down still somewhat damp, that has faint chipmunk striping. I KNOW it is a purebred Jubilee, unless my hens have mastered the art of teleportation! I am only breeding lavender, black-lav split, and Jubilees right now, and so even if I mis-marked an egg, the color from Day 1 makes it obvious of what color the little Orpington is going to be.

This is only the second Jubilee chick I have hatched, and the first chick did not show this. From my limited reading, in breeds that have it, chipmunk striping is more common in females than in males. The chick I hatched previously looked like a future roo to me, based upon its prominent comb for a newly hatched chick. This second chick does not have a prominent comb at all. It would be handy if the temporary striping means it's a pullet!

I suspect that this chipmunk striping is going to be invisible or barely visible by the time the down fully dries.

Thoughts??

The stripes are visible when dry and it does not seem to indicate gender. Though I will pay more attention to that in the future. I got my Jubilee's from Greenfire farms. Some had solid yellow down and some had stripes. I originally thought that they were different breeds as I didn't know exactly what had come in the box. I was told that this is common in this breed and shows up in certain lines. That the solid colored chick is preferable but that both are pure Jubilee Orpington chicks. When they grow up they are indistinguishable as to who had stripes and who didn't. I gave up worrying about stripes and chose which birds to keep based on adult traits. I culled birds from my flock who had side sprigs or bad coloring or stub feathers. I figure that these things in the end were more important than chick down. Maybe I am wrong and will regret that decision. Though if that is the case then I wouldn't have had enough birds to keep the breed at all. I am just about to put my first eggs in the incubator. It will be good to hear what others think at this point.

Here are some of the photo's of mine when they were chicks. You can clearly see the difference in down coloring.

Last edited:
I'm picking up hatching eggs for Jubilees this weekend! So excited. Probably from the same place you got yours from Sonya!

Should have little Jubilees in 3 weeks.
wee.gif

Interesting discussion about the down coloring.
I breed the jubilee Wyandotte bantam variety and see those same down colors.
Since last year I started to follow the individual differences between the chicks with different down colors.
Eventually I only had 2 roosters with those stripes on the back when they were chicks. The other 6 chicks with those stripes became hens.
As mature birds, those who had the stripes in their down ended up darker and with less white.
I kept both roosters and 4 hens + 3 hens who were "normally" colored as chicks.

2013 , my first jubilees

2014, next generations

2015 chicks from March 2nd
Stripes

Normal down

I have read that some of the jubilees are based on e^b/e^b an others on E^Wh/E^Wh.
The first variety would have those stripes.
When you mix both varieties I've heard you end up with a mix like here above.

@Odelia & @kittydoc , maybe it's interesting to keep records of your chicks.
When interested in the evolution of the different types of down, let me know.
I have some more pictures about different age stages.

Just FYI, Lav x Jubilee gives a solid black offspring.  She might have had a whoops
breeding if somebody hopped over a fence or escaped from a breeding pen otherwise.  In fact, Lavender x almost any color gives black offspring since it's a recessive gene and you have to have two copies to get lavender chicks (we played with the chicken color calculator that is online--very useful).  I have both of these colors, too (but I don't sell hatching eggs).  Jubilee x Jubilee will not produce a black chick.  For people who use Mottled periodically to broaden the genetic variation, you can and will get some Mottled Orps, but that's the only remotely permissible cross.

Assuming you marked the eggs right, you should have gotten a solid yellow chick if it was a Jubilee.  After a few days, they start getting some color on their wings as the first feathers come in.

The lady may or may not have been truthful.  It could have been an accident.  But I think she should refund you your money for that egg if you are positive which one was the Jubilee egg.  Just my two cents' worth!

Well...I was a bit disappointed by the black chick and by all the eggs being upside-down with lots of fully formed chicks that didn't hatch because the air cell was on the side. I certainly looked around to try and find another source but realized that despite it all this lady's prices were so much cheaper that I just went ahead and ordered another 18 eggs. If I get another 6 healthy chicks I'll be happy and then I'll have a dozen to start my flock (hopefully at least 6 pullets). If she sends me extra eggs that would be great and if they are packaged well (I asked her to store and pack them fat end up) then even better. Who knows...I might even get 9 to 15 out of this next batch. I should get them in the mail tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a newby to the back yard coop scene. Last year I bought six Orpingtons, a lavender rooster and hen, three buff hens, and a chocolate hen. They are more of a hobby than any thing else. I love my peeps and would like to add a Jubilee hen to my flock. Would anyone happen to have one for sale a little later this Spring?

Hi, I'm a newby to the back yard coop scene. Last year I bought six Orpingtons, a lavender rooster and hen, three buff hens, and a chocolate hen. They are more of a hobby than any thing else. I love my peeps and would like to add a Jubilee hen to my flock. Would anyone happen to have one for sale a little later this Spring?
I am sorry if I missed it somewhere, but where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom