The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
These are my two, they are about 2 months old, hatched in late Dec.

Chick 1

Chick 2

They look a little darker in the photos than in person, probably because I took them yesterday around dusk using my flash.

Any gender guess?

Both pullets looks like to me. The tail is usually a good indicator of sex at that age. Pullets develop tails much quicker.

Thanks :) 1 pullet and 1 cockerel would be OK although 2 pullets would be even better LOL
Do they look like they will keep the mottled markings? Would they be considered Jubilees or are they missing some color/pattern genes?

They look to be both pullets to me. I've never seen a cockerel (or pullet for that matter) color out like that. Also they are way lighter than any chick over ever had, so maybe that's what is throwing me off. Where did you get them? Don't get me wrong, they are pretty... I've just raised a lot, and these are spotted quite different from my experience.

They look to be both pullets to me. I've never seen a cockerel (or pullet for that matter) color out like that. Also they are way lighter than any chick over ever had, so maybe that's what is throwing me off. Where did you get them? Don't get me wrong, they are pretty... I've just raised a lot, and these are spotted quite different from my experience.

They are "mixes", both parents were from a project breeding a local breeder did of Jubilee x Buff Orpingtons. I've been hatching eggs from my layer flock and gotten a number of chicks that were buff colored with mottles (I think it's called mottling, still a little confused on mottle vs spangle, white spots on the feathers) that disappeared around 12 weeks old. These are a darker base color and the spots appear to be staying, they also have some black in them which I didn't realize until looking at the photos so I was just wondering if the Jubilee genetics paired up in these two or ?? I am sure some underlying Buff genetics are throwing things off. Assuming they are both pullets they are destined for my layer flock once they are a little bigger either way, I just find the genetics interesting.

They are "mixes", both parents were from a project breeding a local breeder did of Jubilee x Buff Orpingtons.  I've been hatching eggs from my layer flock and gotten a number of chicks that were buff colored with mottles (I think it's called mottling, still a little confused on mottle vs spangle, white spots on the feathers) that disappeared around 12 weeks old.  These are a darker base color and the spots appear to be staying, they also have some black in them which I didn't realize until looking at the photos so I was just wondering if the Jubilee genetics paired up in these two or ??   I am sure some underlying Buff genetics are throwing things off.  Assuming they are both pullets they are destined for my layer flock once they are a little bigger either way, I just find the genetics interesting. 

Oh, ok... That explains it. It looks like they will be mottled. You should post them when they get bigger. I would like to see them. Were they english buffs or hatchery/American buffs (not that those two are the same thing)?

Oh, ok... That explains it. It looks like they will be mottled. You should post them when they get bigger. I would like to see them. Were they english buffs or hatchery/American buffs (not that those two are the same thing)?

I know they weren't hatchery, I believe they were English. They were advertised as Jubilee/Buff project chicks, but looking at the breeders website they don't have Buff, but Red English Orps. The rest of their Orps they just have listed as Jubilee Orp, or Blue Orp, etc.

This is one of the parents around 3 months old, she'd already lost her white markings by then.

900x900px-LL-88233b2d_jubilee_blrw.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom