The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics

We picked up what we thought was a quad of Jubilees from a friend in order to have a second pen and much to our surprise he is a she and laid her first egg Saturday.

So here are our two week old Jubilee chicks. Any guesses on genders? I know it is early, but they are feathering in quite differently. The top ones have light wings and tail feathers and the bottom two have dark wings and no tail feathers. Maybe this isn't any indication of gender at all. What do you think?
This is the perfect age to tell by tails feathers. The ones with the tail feathers growing in are probably females, but it's not foolproof. What's throwing me off is usually the males will have more white as they are growing out.

You want even coloring throughout the entire birds plumage. It's definitely a complex color pattern and it will take time, careful selection of breeding birds and an eye for how a bird will look when fully mature to bring a flock close to their standard.

What you cannot do is just throw a pen of Jubilees together, hatch tons of chicks and expect to have a flock of show quality birds. It just won't happen. It's a difficult color to get right but when that is accomplished the outcome is absolutely beautiful.

This is the best colored red millefleur I have ever seen, magnificent!!!!

This is the perfect age to tell by tails feathers. The ones with the tail feathers growing in are probably females, but it's not foolproof. What's throwing me off is usually the males will have more white as they are growing out.

There is a reason this was throwing you off. It has been discovered that the white ones are white Sulmtaler's that we did not know were in the box. They have turned out to be a trio of Sulmtalers. One male two females. So a nice surprise!

Could anyone help me with this chick. I'm thinking boy but would love to be wrong. Hopefully the shot is good enough to tell

Could anyone help me with this chick. I'm thinking boy but would love to be wrong. Hopefully the shot is good enough to tell
How old is the chick? It's comb is still fairly small and does not look red. The wing are pretty dark. I would not let it go yet. I think it looks like a pullet, but I am no expert on this breed. I do know my cockerels have much lighter wings than that and grew their tail feathers in much later than the pullets. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom