The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
I have the oportunity to gets some birds that come from the MArc Sacre and Fancy Chick lines. Since it will be my first foray into this breed can you folks give me an idea the quality of these lines generally? Also, what lines generally are considered the top lines st this time?

Thanks for your help.

Right! I am investing in Jubilees in the Spring, you have better believe I will be triming them. I was told that many of the fertility issues are due to all of that fluff.

Off topic, does any one know why Orpington eggs have such a low hatch rate for shipped birds? I had a great development with some Ameraucanas I had shipped but I just had some Lav Orps and I had low fertility (7 out of 9 fertile) and very little development from the remaining eggs (only 2 made lockdown and those I wasn't sure on). 0% hatch.
sad.png
I know it wasn't my incubating because I set some control eggs of my own, and had 90% hatch!

I had just awful luck with hatching eggs shipped by mail. My first and last attempt at this were with Jubilee eggs. First, some were poopy. I would not select poopy eggs to send someone as hatching eggs. Only two of 8 eggs were developed visibly. I dropped one while candling and killed it. The other one made it to lockdown but never pipped and was dead in the shell, fully developed. I wasted so much money on them, and even paid $50 for overnight instead of two-day Priority shipping. It made no difference in the outcome. So, my hatch rate for these birds was zero.

When I want hatching eggs, I drive to get them. I once drove 250 miles each way, but 6 of the 7 eggs were fertile, and all 6 hatched. Another time I drove 150 miles each way, was allowed to hand-select the hatching eggs myself, and had a 7/7 100% hatch. Unfortunately, I also selected 5 cockerels and 2 pullets, but I try to look on the bright side and consider the amount of choice I had on which cockerel to keep myself!

I've talked to a schoolteacher who has frequently hatched eggs obtained through the mail, and it is a crapshoot. It depends on the PO handling to a very large degree, how far the eggs are traveling, as well as temperature variables. She once bought 30 hatching eggs and had a 0% hatch because it was below freezing the day they were delivered, and she was at work. She said she typically had a 10-20% hatch rate, which is pitiful, but since they are for classroom instruction, she is satisfied. I bought a black English Orpington pullet from her out of one of these hatches, and hope that speaks to the chick's vitality (it has so far--she's big, beautiful, and very sweet!). I don't think any of us here would be satisfied by that rate, though. I keep hearing that the hatch rate for shipped eggs is about 50%, but I don't believe it myself.

I have the oportunity to gets some birds that come from the MArc Sacre and Fancy Chick lines.

Since it will be my first foray into this breed can you folks give me an idea the quality of these lines generally? Also, what lines generally are considered the top lines st this time?

Thanks for your help.

I think Fancy Chick has beautiful birds, so e of the prettiest in the U.s. I know that both hatcheries directly import from Europe.

They are supposed to be really good lines. I have a Marc Sacre and Greenfire F2 hen I got here in Nashville and she is somewhat flighty for the breed and VERY dumb but gorgeous.

Despite her drawbacks she is one of my most beautiful birds to watch and Id definitely love more.

I found a local breeder of Jubilee Orps. She said she will set an order for me any time, so Yay! Now all I have to do is convince my Husband I need to make a trip and spend some money! I will be investing A LOT in chickens this year. Not only am I starting Jub Orps, but I plan to order some Scots Dumpys in the Spring! I keep telling myself I will make my money back quickly LOL!

Anyone up for guessing Cockeral or Pullet?
My chicks are almost 9wks old and my Lavenders and Blacks are clearly distinguishable, but my Jubilees are giving me some trouble. Or maybe I'm just in denial and don't want to admit I have any cockerals! ;)
These are from Papa's Poultry, Gisbrechts line.

Gemma:
pullet?

Philippa:
cockeral?

Georgiana:
cockeral?

Last edited:
I'm guessing Georgiana is a cockeral. The waddles seem to be larger. The spikey feathers above the eyes might be a give away also...just guessing though.

Back
Top Bottom