The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Hi all! I'm currently raising out my first Jubilee chicks. The cockerel, Indie, is a Blue Jubilee and the pullet, Liberty, is a regular Jubilee. They and the other Orps (and GC Marans) went out into the tractor today to get some sunshine, bugs, and dirt baths.

My daughter wanted me to get a picture of their "beautiful wings" too.
wink.png

Finally got my hands on a Jubilee Orp cockerel. Friend bought him as a "pullet", nope, he's growing saddle feathers. I said I'd take him as soon as she mentioned that the breeder refused to take him back, she's growing him out for me now. He's very cute and apparently the parents are huge. I'll post pics when I get some.

I had a clutch of 12 jubilees, of which I have 7 left. I had posted pictures earlier and was told that they were too light, German line. The chicks were born April 7th, so now just over a month old. Can you tell if the color is improving on the chicks yet or is this color not a clue yet?

@bramblefir (and others) I would love to see more pictures from your blue jubilees. I am working on this color but for Wyandotte bantams. What I have noticed is that in some young birds, there is only the white dot without the blue or with only a very little of blue.

I have another cockerel and pullet that are showing less white and more blue and then there is another hen, with only one mottling gene.

I started with a splash and blue laced gold hen in combination with a jubilee rooster to come to this color. The year after I put the F1 together with a pure jubilee rooster and in the F2 it is starting to look like blue jubilee.
All your thoughts and tips are welcome!
Sorry for photo/questionbombing the Orpington thread, but since this color is rare amongst the Wyandotte breeders, I need to look for information elsewhere. :)

Anyone else's Jubilees jerks? Mine are the meanest in the group of growouts I have. Of course I have Brahmas & they are the sweetest.

My Jubilees have always been the sweetest, even the rooster. As soon as we take a step in the backyard where he can see us, he starts running to us and calling his girls lol. They're so spoiled! My sons bantam Cochins are the jerks in our yard.

My Jubilees have always been the sweetest, even the rooster. As soon as we take a step in the backyard where he can see us, he starts running to us and calling his girls lol. They're so spoiled! My sons bantam Cochins are the jerks in our yard.
ours a quite nice too. They aren't into being touched much but do come running and want to hang close.

@bramblefir (and others) I would love to see more pictures from your blue jubilees. I am working on this color but for Wyandotte bantams. What I have noticed is that in some young birds, there is only the white dot without the blue or with only a very little of blue.

I have another cockerel and pullet that are showing less white and more blue and then there is another hen, with only one mottling gene.

I started with a splash and blue laced gold hen in combination with a jubilee rooster to come to this color. The year after I put the F1 together with a pure jubilee rooster and in the F2 it is starting to look like blue jubilee.
All your thoughts and tips are welcome!
Sorry for photo/questionbombing the Orpington thread, but since this color is rare amongst the Wyandotte breeders, I need to look for information elsewhere. :)
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It's been pouring rain and way to dark to even think about getting pictures. Today it was sunny, so I took a couple of quick pictures on my cell. Not the best quality, but you should be able to get an idea of the amount of blue he has on him.

@bramblefir
Where your cockerel is showing clearly the bleu behind the white tip of the feather, I miss that in two of my project birds. I hope to see some follow-up pictures so I can keep comparing.
smile.png

This couple shows the right amount of blue in their wings and neck, but that's it.

I prefer these two, showing more blue and less white. (for now)

During previous breeding years I learned that those jubilees keep changing when it comes to their markings during their lifespan. Still it is my ambition to get a (blue) jubilee showing just the right amount of blue and just the right amount of white to come to a very fine marking. Since The blue jubilees were bred by using other color varieties, it might take a few more years to get them on point.

@bramblefir
Where your cockerel is showing clearly the bleu behind the white tip of the feather, I miss that in two of my project birds. I hope to see some follow-up pictures so I can keep comparing.
smile.png

This couple shows the right amount of blue in their wings and neck, but that's it.

I prefer these two, showing more blue and less white. (for now)

During previous breeding years I learned that those jubilees keep changing when it comes to their markings during their lifespan. Still it is my ambition to get a (blue) jubilee showing just the right amount of blue and just the right amount of white to come to a very fine marking. Since The blue jubilees were bred by using other color varieties, it might take a few more years to get them on point.
Right, the mottling will increase with every molt making them more and more white as they age. I think (but I'm not 100% certain) that the difference between your pullets with more blue and those with less is the Columbian gene. I'm thinking the girls with less blue might be heterozygous for the Columbian gene.

Do you have access to good quality Speckled Sussex over there? If you do, you might consider a little side project to eventually cross into your main project. I would get a really good Speckled Sussex cock and cross him over the 2 best Blue Jubilee pullets/hens. Cross the best resulting cockerel back over the same 2 hens and then select the offspring for type and color. You can keep selecting each generation for type and color and mix in some of the offspring to your main project too to improve color.

Back
Top Bottom