The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I am interested in purchasing some Large Orpingtons in the Jubilee, Mottled, and other rare colors. Do you know of anyone with hatching eggs or young birds for sale?

I am also looking for Bantam Orpingtons in the rare colors as well.

Thanks

I am looking around everywhere for some nice hens to buy for him, the hen I bought him with has a very bad shape, her cushion is far too big and she is too small so she was put in with the layers. Good buff hens are very hard to find in Ireland because there are a lot of breeders crossing them to Cochins. I am probably going to get them from England now but I am still having trouble sourcing a good breeder.
Germany has the best

I have the weekend off and was able to catch up...well kinda. Too many posts since I've been here
big_smile.png

You all hadn't seen any updates lately of my first generation. This picture is of two my youngest -5 month olds. They are very slowly getting their tails. Their mom was 8 months old before she decided she needed one! This generation I improved size... but...

I believe I am growing bowling balls instead of birds. (Max's fault.) These two are GFF x Heirloom Orps

This is their dad at nine months old. (I've now removed his leg band btw)

Dee they are beautiful. I like round

Watch for their comb and waddles to turn bright red..  Then you know it won't be long.  My BBS usually start laying between 6 to 71/2 months old
Thanks Renie. I figured it would be late August at the soonest. Some of them are starting to squat for the roo and ear lobes are getting red but not the combs. I plan to pick the best 4 to go with my best roo next spring.

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I will share pictures of the older ones-6 months that have their tails coming in. They are from a different breeding and are taller and bigger...but you can't really tell in pictures. Rock Star gave me two boys that look like him with better combs. Thank goodness.

I just dusted everyone and therefore not a good picture day.

PugBug...congrats on the chicks.

Irene...you have babies now laying. wow. My babies are laying tiny pullet eggs too. Two started laying at 5 1/2 months. Took me totally by surprise. And as of today I have three asking for C-sections because they are within a day or two of laying also. You should hear the fuss.

Irishhenman, I agree with the general consensus that the Germans have great birds. Their breeders are very focused. They don't expect things to happen overnight. Patience works for them. The only problem with them (for me) is that they aren't to keen on sharing their line. Can't blame them. Why give it all away unless they can be assured you are as serious and focused as they. Some day I will have a German "looking" line...just made in the USA.
big_smile.png
Best of luck to you.

Dragonlady...no. No one here misses a meal
roll.png
They get fresh fruit (blueberries, peaches) everyday. I actually have planted fruit trees for them. They also get scrambled eggs sometimes. And don't forget the homegrown mealworms. Next year you've inspired me. I want to plant clovers for them. But don't think they aren't fit. They are outside from sunrise to sunset doing "chicken stuff". But I have to admit...when it gets in the high 90's they enjoy their swamp cooler.
hide.gif
That's why the heat doesn't slow down their eating or egg laying.

You're right about Germany and Belgium, which is where my English bred birds came from. Those breeders are sticking to the British Standard.
its the same wifh the german whites..there is a lot more leg under there , but they were outcrossed into some british..beautiful shape.lovley big cotton balls..

Last edited:
love the way you feed them dee..i give lot of fruit too..they love it!..you are well on your way to "that look".. great job Dee.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom