The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Correct me if I am wrong about this, but I thought no true English Orpington would be accepted as an APA Orpington. The English body type is significantly different than the APA body type which is focuses on production rather than show.

I thought this issue was the reason for the split between the APA people and the group that have started the American British Poultry Club. Am I wrong about this?

Personally I love my American HinkJC lavs. But I find myself only buying English Orpingtons these days.

Correct me if I am wrong about this, but I thought no true English Orpington would be accepted as an APA Orpington.  The English body type is significantly different than the APA body type which is focuses on production rather than show.

I thought this issue was the reason for the split between the APA people and the group that have started the American British Poultry Club.  Am I wrong about this?

Personally I love my American HinkJC lavs.  But I find myself only buying English Orpingtons these days.
You are correct and I love the lavs and all I buy and breed is orps I do breed 50%

Who excepts Lavender? I thought only buff, white, black and BBsplash were 'acceptable' ?

Splash is not an accepted color in any breed. Kind of strange because splash to splash breeds true, and blue is accepted but blue to blue does not breed true
big_smile.png

At what age do the orpington roos start to crow?

My big boy is still silent with no attempts, and he's almost 4 months. He's the only male in the coop, but I'm beginning to think he may be "hen-pecked." The older girls do not share the upper roost with him, but he's at least at the top of the pecking order among the ones of same age.

At what age do the orpington roos start to crow?

My big boy is still silent with no attempts, and he's almost 4 months. He's the only male in the coop, but I'm beginning to think he may be "hen-pecked." The older girls do not share the upper roost with him, but he's at least at the top of the pecking order among the ones of same age.

I've had them crow at a couple months old and scare the heck out of themselves when they do
lau.gif
. 4 months though I might start thinking he's a pullet.....
smile.png

I've had them crow at a couple months old and scare the heck out of themselves when they do
lau.gif
. 4 months though I might start thinking he's a pullet.....
smile.png
He's very big & has huge red headgear - especially when compared to the pullets. I'm confident he's a boy. That's why I'm wondering now if the older hens are somehow preventing him from crowing. The older hens sleep on the upper roost & rule the coop.

Back
Top Bottom