The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Thats what I was afraid of........:he

Age is somewhere around 4 months, and yes I am in KS. Breeder in Waverly is where I picked them all out, no attempts yet on crowing that I have heard though.

The average age of crowing for most breeds is 4-6 months, but depending on how "English" your roo is, it could be later since they develop more slowly (up to 8-10 months). Enjoy the quiet while you can. I have the Velcro on hand to make my own anti-crowing collars so that I can keep roosters without irritating my neighbors. My oldest English Orps are also 4 months old and I haven't heard any attempts at crowing from them, though their range of vocalizations is increasing. They are huge but look like giant babies, not like roosters. Their time will come!

Are these English or American Orps?

The average age of crowing for most breeds is 4-6 months, but depending on how "English" your roo is, it could be later since they develop more slowly (up to 8-10 months). Enjoy the quiet while you can. I have the Velcro on hand to make my own anti-crowing collars so that I can keep roosters without irritating my neighbors. My oldest English Orps are also 4 months old and I haven't heard any attempts at crowing from them, though their range of vocalizations is increasing. They are huge but look like giant babies, not like roosters. Their time will come!
Tell me more about these anti-crowing collars. My closest neighbor gets up for his part time cleaning job at 4:00 a.m. I previously had only one rooster and it didn't bother him and my other neighbors have had no issues. But as I'm expanding to more breeding pens, I can keep the roosters in the coop with automatic doors until 9 a.m. during part of the year. But in the summer, I don't see that happening. Do the collars really mute the crowing that much? The neighbors say they like to hear the roosters and I'm not the only person with roosters in the vicinity, but I still want to stay on their good side.

@tnmommy I have not personally used a no-crow collar yet, but have read many more good things about them than negative. Some people use the tops of little kids' socks instead of Velcro, but I can't see that lasting very long (becoming stretched out). There is a post somewhere on BYC that describes how to make your own out of 2" Velcro, but I can't get my hands on it at this moment. If you search "no crow Velcro," you will hopefully find the directions on how to make them for about $2 each. You have nothing to lose but $9.88 plus tax for the Velcro from Amazon.com. The collars from My Pet Chicken are fancier, but cost $17 each. You have nothing to lose, and I'll be in your boat shortly. My cockerels aren't crowing yet but they will be within a few months. I am ready when they start!

@tnmommy
 I have not personally used a no-crow collar yet, but have read many more good things about them than negative.  Some people use the tops of little kids' socks instead of Velcro, but I can't see that lasting very long (becoming stretched out).  There is a post somewhere on BYC that describes how to make your own out of 2" Velcro, but I can't get my hands on it at this moment.  If you search "no crow Velcro," you will hopefully find the directions on how to make them for about $2 each.  You have nothing to lose but $9.88 plus tax for the Velcro from Amazon.com.  The collars from My Pet Chicken are fancier, but cost $17 each.  You have nothing to lose, and I'll be in your boat shortly.  My cockerels aren't crowing yet but they will be within a few months.  I am ready when they start!
I have a ton of kids socks but I worry I'll put it on too tight. Especially in the heat

Tell me more about these anti-crowing collars. My closest neighbor gets up for his part time cleaning job at 4:00 a.m. I previously had only one rooster and it didn't bother him and my other neighbors have had no issues. But as I'm expanding to more breeding pens, I can keep the roosters in the coop with automatic doors until 9 a.m. during part of the year. But in the summer, I don't see that happening. Do the collars really mute the crowing that much? The neighbors say they like to hear the roosters and I'm not the only person with roosters in the vicinity, but I still want to stay on their good side.
insulate the coops with foam board to keep the sound down

don't allow the roosters out till 8am or 9am

good luck

piglett

insulate the coops with foam board to keep the sound down

don't allow the roosters out till 8am or 9am

good luck

piglett
I will also add that if you separate out the roos and house them out of eye sight of the girls, they won't crow as much. Have the time they are just showing off for the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom