The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I guess it was my understanding they were closed flocks of turkeys, that the wild birds and water fowl could not mingle with the flocks, and good bio-security was in place, is this not true? I am not sure why there is not more released about it to the public. People who do not have poultry are completely oblivious to the entire situation or the magnitude of the impact it can have.
hu.gif

Even my neighbors and family members who do not have poultry had heard nothing about it through the media (I send them mass emails on updates
big_smile.png
). I receive news letters on the latest updates through [email protected], and frequent the USDA/APHIS website. I think knowledge is power and this is most certainly news worthy, it affects all of us in some way even you do not own poultry. And sadly it is going to be crippling to MN.

First cases were reported in December but few people know about it, 5 months later. A bit of road rage can happen and it is televised coast to coast.
idunno.gif
I understand not causing unnecessary panic but I think to better protect our flocks we need to be well informed.

Cearbhael sorry you are in the highest danger zone
sad.png
do you currently have poultry?
It shocks me also that very few people know about this. My husband watches a lot of news and until I mentioned it to him a couple weeks ago he had no knowledge of it. There is even a lack of knowledge in poultry owners. I talk to a lot of various poultry owners and many of them have not heard about it either.

Thanks Nellie for keeping the updated information.

Rockinpaints, I cannot say for certainty one way or another how ever I have driven by many Turkey farms here and they all had huge open air pens with shelters. I cannot imagine having totally enclosed runs that can house 300,000+ Turkey's, so I was assuming the affected farms had at least a few open pens (yes, very high fences but open to the air) it would take much for workers to take contamination from an open pen to enclosed areas. I could be wrong, and it is possible that some farms were enclosed and others maybe not so much. No way to verify since they are not releasing more than the county affected.
Yes, we are in the hot zone. 2 of the affected Turkey farms were in Stearns county which is only 14 miles away (as is the Mississippi River) I am smack in the flyway. No, no chickens, until I get my Isabelles. I will have very tight bio security down to boots dedicated to the coop and runs, as well as overalls for the same. Closed flock, totally enclosed and electric fencing around area of runs.

Hi. I just bought a Chocolate Orpington hen large fowl. I'm having a hard time to find a large fowl Chocolote orpington Roo. I have a pair of Lavender Orpingtons, what would I get if I put the Chocolate orpington hen with the Lavender Roo. Would it be possible to breed a chocolate roo at all with this combination? Any advice would be appreciated

Rockinpaints, I cannot say for certainty one way or another how ever I have driven by many Turkey farms here and they all had huge open air pens with shelters. I cannot imagine having totally enclosed runs that can house 300,000+ Turkey's, so I was assuming the affected farms had at least a few open pens (yes, very high fences but open to the air) it would take much for workers to take contamination from an open pen to enclosed areas. I could be wrong, and it is possible that some farms were enclosed and others maybe not so much. No way to verify since they are not releasing more than the county affected.
Yes, we are in the hot zone. 2 of the affected Turkey farms were in Stearns county which is only 14 miles away (as is the Mississippi River) I am smack in the flyway. No, no chickens, until I get my Isabelles. I will have very tight bio security down to boots dedicated to the coop and runs, as well as overalls for the same. Closed flock, totally enclosed and electric fencing around area of runs.
thumbsup.gif

Hi. I just bought a Chocolate Orpington hen large fowl. I'm having a hard time to find a large fowl Chocolote orpington Roo. I have a pair of Lavender Orpingtons, what would I get if I put the Chocolate orpington hen with the Lavender Roo. Would it be possible to breed a chocolate roo at all with this combination? Any advice would be appreciated

If what I'm getting from the Chicken Calculator is correct, then you'll get black chicks from the first crossing (males will be split lavender and chocolate and females will be split lavender)

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html?mgt=E:E/E,Lav:lav/lav&fgt=E:E/E,Choc:choc/(choc)

If you cross one of those split roos back to the chocolate hen, you'll theoretically get 1/8 chocolate males and 1/8 chocolate split to lavender males (you'll have to breed them to figure out which ones are split and which ones aren't).

I'm sure @jeremy or @rockinpaints will correct me if I've screwed up the calculator or misinterpreted something.

When I said no chickens, I was referring strictly to my area, MN. I am aware that other states have had different scenarios, but in MN we are only so far seeing it hit large commercial Turkey farms.

Thanks for clarifying your previous post. This thread has people from all over the United States and probably some other countries, too. As a veterinarian, I feel a special responsibility to be sure information about avian influenza is as complete and accurate as possible. obviously, I only see posts on threads that I subscribe to, but it's a start. It's good to know so many people are taking this seriously.

Back
Top Bottom