The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

ChooksChick - THanks for posting the pictures. Very nice !! Me and Julie have been trying to tell ya'll forever that there is absolutely NO comparison between the English orps and American orps. They have to be seen to appreciate the huge differences, as well as to really see how magnificent they truly are. I love the American orps too but, for me, the English orps are just so majestic and regal. ANyway....

Julie - Love the pictures of Charlie, as usual. You have some nice birds growing out. Can't wait to see how they develop. I also love that little cornish chick !!

I didn't get to post the GL pictures last night. We had some major storms and my internet service was out until around 10PM. I'll try to remember to do it this evening after I get off work.

Quote:
you have such nice looking birds so big an fluffy.
thumbsup.gif

Julie, wonderful pics!

Renee and Marc~

Lovely birds! Did I see correctly that you have the Bantam Chocs in with LF Black Orps? Are you going to be creating LF Choc? With the size of those English Bantams it doesn't seem like it would be difficult.

Not sure on my genetics here, but the first generation of offspring the daughters would be all Choc, with the sons split for Choc. Is that right?

Love the fluff on all the English Orps!

Hi Tonya,

Thank you for your positive remarks on the Orpingtons.
I've put the chocolate bantam roosters with the LF black hens to try to go for the LF chocolates. I just need one split rooster but then I need some luck.
When you cross a chocolate rooster on pure black hens that should give you 50% choc hens and 50% split black-choc roosters.

Marc

They're finally almost through their "uglies"! This is my favorite age!

Really hoping this splash is a pullet!
34304_dsc_0014.jpg

34304_dsc_0248.jpg

34304_dsc_0209.jpg

34304_dsc_0169.jpg

34304_dsc_0183.jpg

My favorite Black, hopefully it's a pullet!
34304_dsc_0190.jpg

34304_dsc_0195.jpg

34304_dsc_0253.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, here. Still in the chicken-ordinance-advocacy stage of things.

What are the differences (besides color) between regular Orps and Imported English Orps? These are gorgeous looking birds! My husband is English and I also used to live in the UK but never saw these chickens before.

Best,

Anna

Beautiful BlaBlauve. Love that black chick. Looking good.

Marc I think Grant Brereton's Book " 21st Century Poultry Breeding" does the best explaining breeding chocolates when you are trying use black. It is amazing that you get a totally different situation of genes if you breed a black Male over Chocolate female compared to breeding a Chocolate male over black female. It would only make sense to use the Chocolate male over the Black female as it gives you all offspring carrying the gene. The females all chocolate and males all black carrying Chocolate gene. I would love to work on a project of developing LF Chocolates. If you have a extra chocolate cockerel let me know.

I just acquired 4 Eng. Orps to add to my Lavender breeding project. The roo they came from was absolutely wonderful! Here is a pic of him...and he is the small one!
ep.gif
My Lavs are almost 3 months old...kinda getting at that teenage dorky look.
gig.gif
If anyone is close to Knoxville, TN....the woman, Tenesseeckn, that my Eng. came from has chicks ready to go out. This roo wom BB at the poultry show and is such a gentleman. Now...just have to try to be patient til someone is old enough to breed! About what age average do Orps begin laying?

Chooks...I do hope things are OK with you. What I saw going on close to you was very scarry....will be thinking and praying for you and others in those areas.
fl.gif

This is "Roo"

70714_s5030849.jpg

Now you can see his size here...he is an armful!

70714_0507111528-00.jpg

Here is his mommy

70714_s5030857.jpg

Back
Top Bottom