The Imported English Rhodebar Thread

Quote:
They are a Breed in the U.K. and they will breed true to form so the wouldn't be what I would call a cross-bred or a hybrid.
I myself wouldn't import them when they or a breed very similar can be produced here in the states.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
What a pretty little one, what is she?

She hatched out of some golden cuckoo marans eggs. I don't know why she doesn't have any black barring, but I like her anyway
tongue.png

Apparently there are less than 100 in the UK and what I personally really enjoy is when a breed is that close to extinction, I like working with them to bring them back for all to enjoy. The roos that were imported are pure Rhodebar by UK standards and I intend to use them to assure that blood line carries through. The imported blood line is what is important to me and many others.

Rhodebars are not a hybrid. A hybrid is a cross of two distinct breeds. The hybrid may bear a resemblance to another breed, but it is not a member of a breed.

As you guys know...This is the commonly accepted definition of a breed:
A breed is a group of animals whose individual members resemble each other closely enough to be easily recognized and that reproduce the same breed type when mated together.
A hybrid fails this test. It will not reproduce the same breed type when mated to another hybrid.

It often takes decades for a breed's genome to stabilize and consistently the same breed type when individuals of that breed are mated together.

The rhodebar began as a combination of Rhode Island reds and a brussbar; two distinct breeds. It took many years to stabilize the genome of the rhodebar. Again, the rhodebar is not a hybrid; it breeds true generation to generation.

Aside from the genome stability issue, it would require a Rhode Island red and a brussbar.

Last edited:
Quote:
The original Rhodebars was originally created from the Barred Plymouth Rock and the Rhode Island Red, a Redbars would be from a cross between the *Brussbar and the Rhode Island Red.
http://www.harislau.co.uk/autosexing-rhodebar.htm
http://www.britannicrarebreeds.co.uk/breedinfo/chicken_rhodebar.php
*Brussbar; The original Brussbar are/were a Barred Plymouth Rock, Brown Sussex cross later the Light Sussex was add utility value and make them more commercially attractive.
Chris

I also have done the research and this is what I've found, in addition to your links.
http://poultrykeeper.com/rhodebar/rhodebar-breed-information/the-rhodebar.html

Here is a quote from poultry keeper;
"The Rhodebar is a rare, autosexing breed that was originally created in the UK during 1947 from crosses of Golden Brussbar cockerels and Rhode Island Red hens. It was first called a Redbar but later took the name of Rhodebar."

This is a quote from http://harislau.co.uk
"In Britain several independent breeders are known to have created the Rhodebar. In 1947 two breeders in Essex made a strain of 'Redbars' from a cross between the Brussbar and the Rhode Island Red"

See the similarity in the dates?

There are some good reading at poultry keeper but keep in mind that not all of it is correct.

Example they state under the Rhode Island Red,
"Useful to know: Rhode Island Reds (genetically 'gold' plumage) are used to create sex-linked hybrid layers, crossing with genetically 'silver' hens like the White Leghorn, White Wyandotte or Light Sussex. Chicks from such a cross can be identified at a day old by the colour of their plumage.

The White Leghorn can not be used to create a color sexed sex-link by crossing it to a Rhode Island Red.
The White Leghorn is Dominate White (I) not Silver (S)

Chris

Here are two pics of day-old rhodebar chicks that show their remarkable auto-sexing function. Males are blonde and often have a white head spot, females have chipmunk stripes.

rhodebarchix080.jpg

rhodebarchix027.jpg

I've got my Rhodebar chicks on order from GFF for awhile. Since I have a full brooder right now, I won't get them until March when I'll have room for them. Looking forward to raising them.

Thanks for the photos!

Back
Top Bottom