The Imported English Rhodebar Thread

Quote:
gorgeous, and when are mine shipping
smile.png

I live in England and have a Rhodebar chick (hopefully a girl - 3 weeks old). I read the same website about Rhodebars being a cross and when I mentioned it to the breeder friend who gave it to me nearly got my head bitten off. Rhodebars are a rare breed chicken, not a hybred! I've been a bit confused about Amber's sex as the photos I've seen on the web show a barred chick and Amber doesn't have dark bars, only two lines down her back and dark spot on her head. Her feathers are coming in dark red horizontal lines on her wings. I've been told by my friend that female chicks are dark orange/rust and have a dark splash on their heads and males are lighter with a white splash on their heads. Amber isn't too dark orange but has a dark splash.

My friend's hens looked like the photos, similar to welsummer (which we have) but bars running through her feathers. Oh, Amber is a bantam, not sure if that makes a difference.

Breeder told me that Rhodebars breed true too. That's good but I don't intend to get a cockerel. Amber's foster Mom is a Modern Game Bantam - unusual pair, small black and silver hen with a tiny rust-coloured baby. Emerald is a super protective Mom, no one goes near her chick. Both birds stand fairly upright, well at least more upright that our other hens.

I'm posting for the first time my Rhodebar flock. I have a F1 hen (Pure Imported Rhodebar Rooser on Rhode Island domestic hen) that is about 6 1/2 months, the rest of the flock is still growing out at about 4 1/2 months. I have 4 roos and 4 hens at this age group!

I think the flock is showing some very nice potential.

Cheryl,
Very nice birds. How long did it take you to breed them?
I actually started with the stock. I did not do any of the breeding myself.

Now the big job ahead of any good breeder is to let these all grow out and do the hard job of selection and culling.

Can anyone tell me about these birds, their dispostion, hardiness, and their temperment with other breeds? Are the hens broody. I think they are lovely, and just want to educate myself.

THank you
MB

Back
Top Bottom