The Incubator Thread

So it's day 21, and there are 35 eggs in there! Can't believe that many of them looked healthy when I candled on day 18 but, then again, our neighbor had 7 roosters around his 25 hens (that's where our eggs came from). I haven't noticed any pipping or rocking. Fingers crossed we don't miss too much action tonight when we go to dinner for my husband's birthday! I know, what timing! Setting up the brooder now. And everyone is in agreement that we shouldn't remove the chicks that hatch and dry until most or all the chicks are hatched? I understand they will have food for up to 3 days from the yolk.
[/IMG][/IMG]

With that many eggs, you will probably want to remove some before they all hatch. It is said that they can survive 3 days, but I'm of the group that says "why should they". I pull them when there is a break in the action. When I dont have any zipping going on. But its up to you. If you have humidity problems, I'd wait, but if you easily keep your humidity up, it doesn't hurt to pull them before they are all done. Just my opinion...

I bought the cheap styrofoam incubator--no fan or turner. I put 35 eggs in and ended up with 12 live chicks. They are now 4 weeks old and doing great! It was my first hatching. I have 33 in it right now and am hoping for a better hatch this time, but am pleased to get 12 free chicks from my own hens eggs!! Follow the instructions and check here for great advice!

So it's day 21, and there are 35 eggs in there! Can't believe that many of them looked healthy when I candled on day 18 but, then again, our neighbor had 7 roosters around his 25 hens (that's where our eggs came from). I haven't noticed any pipping or rocking. Fingers crossed we don't miss too much action tonight when we go to dinner for my husband's birthday! I know, what timing! Setting up the brooder now. And everyone is in agreement that we shouldn't remove the chicks that hatch and dry until most or all the chicks are hatched? I understand they will have food for up to 3 days from the yolk.
[/URL]

I would say----Don't Open that Incubator until its "time"----You will get alot of opinions on that. If you are using a styrofoam incubator---30 some eggs will be no problem----them being tight together causes no problem---this is one tray that I had just taken out and lifed the cover-----all hatched.

Last edited:
[/URL]
What day were the eggs on when this picture taken? Does your "day one" start 24 hours after you set the eggs?

HELLO......HELP
I have just got a new incubator its a Janoel 48 tilts rather than turns. Problem is I can't find anywhere as to how much water I should be putting in at the start of incubation. It has five channels and small ones on each corner....anyone else using one of these....regards gary

HELLO......HELP
I have just got a new incubator its a Janoel 48 tilts rather than turns. Problem is I can't find anywhere as to how much water I should be putting in at the start of incubation. It has five channels and small ones on each corner....anyone else using one of these....regards gary

Sounds like my Chinese knockoff, not a true Janoel, but it will work. I don't use any water, and still maintain 25-30% humidity. Your location will influence what humidity you need. I watch air cells. I would highly recommend getting an independent hygrometer and verifying it for accuracy, instead of relying on the unit. Those units are typically wrong!

What are you incubating?

Hyline chooks, in New Zealand and I think most things I read say around 55 early stages and 65/70% last few days. Why is it that these thing are never easy?

I believe the incubator instructions indicated 50-55 for mine, but that drowns them. I live in a fairly humid environment. Unfortunately the first few hatches are trial and error... and learning experiences.

Back
Top Bottom