The Incubator Thread

It actually was set up three hours before we brought them home,maybe some will still hatch ,after all we do not know how long she was broody,before the fox got her.Im a little sad because I when I heard one peep it gave me hope and then no hatching:/ so yeah maybe my buff will hatch out some babies the father is either A.Carport(newhampshire red/buff Orpington cross) or B.Pistachio(silver laced wyandotte).my parents and I have had more luck with broody hens anyway.But maybe there's still a chance atleast one will hatch from the incubator;but I want to know What can I do to increase Humidity levels in the incubator?

It is usually recomended to set up the incubator a few days ahead and make sure it is stablized for at least 24 hours before adding eggs. I understand you did not have that much advance notice, but it could be part of why they didn;t hatch. What is your humidity level? What brand of incubator do you have? The humidity should be raised until the last few days at "Lockdown". Humidity should be relatively low (around 30%) until then. After that around 60% should be fine. Most incubators have some sort of channels to hold water to increase humidity. The amount of water to add will vary by they specific incubator, time of year, exposure to drying unfluences such as forced air heating in the house, the amount of sun coming in thru the windows, etc.

It's a Little Giant "still air " incubator,I've had it for four years.Maybe they didnt make it because the humidity level was not constant,but I still say there might be a chance atleast one will hatch .

It's a Little Giant "still air " incubator,I've had it for four years.Maybe they didnt make it because the humidity level was not constant,but I still say there might be a chance atleast one will hatch .

Still airs are harder to get good hatches from, I hear since the temperature/humidty can be different in different parts of the incubator. I would let them go until about 4 days or so past the 21 day mark. You really don't have anything to loose. Or you could try them under your broody...

Could someone please tell me what humidity percentage I should have for forced air incubator (for the first 18 days of course). I get confused reading different posts. I've seen 30-55%. Isn't this quite a broad range of different opinions? What's worked for all of you? I'm on day 4, and very conscience about the percentage water needed to evaporate out of the egg. I just want this hatch to be awesome ;)

Could someone please tell me what humidity percentage I should have for forced air incubator (for the first 18 days of course). I get confused reading different posts. I've seen 30-55%. Isn't this quite a broad range of different opinions? What's worked for all of you? I'm on day 4, and very conscience about the percentage water needed to evaporate out of the egg. I just want this hatch to be awesome ;)

Well I always shoot for the lower 40's. But don't panic if I see lower. 50's. Best to weight eggs before putting them in. Then shooting for 3-4% per week reduction in weight.. It best to adjust for egg weight and air sack size than a humidity number. Will try to post a pic of size of air sack. THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT PART during incubation.

Again I don't remember who gave it to me at this time but its a great indicator of air sack size.

I am pretty convinced that the Genesis Hovabator (seen here http://www.amazon.com/HovaBator-Advanced-Incubator-Combo-Kit/dp/B004XNVCS4/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t ) is the one for me, but know that they may have issues holding temperature in an unstable place. I do plan on buying a separate thermometer and hydrometer.

My predicament is that I am hatching in my classroom, in a very old school. The temperatures fluctuate. Can I put the incubator in a large tote or a smaller cooler with a towel or sheet over it to help regulate the temperature?

This is my first time and I am waiting til spring so that I can brood them for a week or two at school and not have to worry too much. (I am also considering bringing them home each night so that I can properly clean the brooder and enjoy their presence! Any thoughts on this are welcome as well!)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Back
Top Bottom