The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Didn't realize it's been so long since I posted updated pictures, I've been super busy.

Last edited:
Didn't realize it's been so long since I posted updated pictures, I've been super busy.

Oh my goddddd!!!! I think this 'teenage stage' is so cute and their little chicken wings are hilarious!!!!

This was rascal as a teen! They used to lay on my knee on a towel every evening and sleep, whilst I watched a film
1f60d.png

Your photos make me want more this year
1f633.png
I could easily turn into a mad duck lady x

Hi new to site and had questio today I'll be getting 6 khakis and am gonna keep them in basement till snows gone , has anyone done this and any tips?

Welcome! You are going to love them! I raised all of mine indoors until they were big enough to go outside. They are imprinted on people so they like to be near you. The more time you spend with them, the tamer they will be when they grow up.

I kept mine in different sized Rubbermade containers but there are other brooder ideas in the "learning center" under "other poultry" (as well as other good info). Know that they love water and will make a mess! Some people make waterers that they can only get their heads into to cut down on the mess. I always kept my waterer over a small pan of shavings to try to keep the rest of the brooder dry. Plan on going through a lot of bedding (I used pine shavings).

Mine learned to swim in shallow Rubbermade containers set on towels with two by fours for steps and a brick in the water to rest on (note: they must be supervised when swimming when they are little). I know others have let theirs spend time in the bathtub. They love to eat while swimming so a little lettuce in the water will make them very happy.

It would be a good idea to start them out getting Brewer's yeast (not bread yeast). You can buy it at healthy food stores like Whole Foods or Sprouts. You just sprinkle a tablespoon of it on their food. It will supply them with the extra Niacin they need, which is not in most starter, without it they have leg and nervous system problems.

I really like the book, "Duck Eggs Daily" by Lisa Steele, when I was starting out. She had a lots of good ideas and information. I hope this helps, I am sure there is a lot I am leaving out.

Back
Top Bottom