The 'Lotsa Poop Chicken Coop' ***Poop Drawer Update***

Quote:

gig.gif

Nice thread! LOL

Since you live in California, I'd go for real sand instead of playground sand. Every 100 lbs of playground sand has 1 pound of asbestos. It used to be worse, but thats what its down to. However, I still wouldn't buy it.

I seriously doubt that asbestos is in Playground sand. If the sand needs to stay fluffy then plain old riverbed sand or beach sand is good and you can get it delivered. by the yard its cheaper than bagged sand. Or they can fill the back of a pick up.

Edtited to apologize. I just googled it ..... pretty scary stuff.

Definitely River or beach sand. odd sized particles are good for chickens.

deb

Last edited:
thats no good i sandblast with that stuff, and its got asbetos!!! time to stop using that, i thought just the silica in it was dangerous.

Could be the nasty, painful no-skid strips on their perch. That's where they rest their weary little chicken feet the surface should be smooth and comfortable. Get that stuff off of there!!

There's you're snarky, critical comment. You can go back to enjoying all kind, sweet comments.

Enjoying this thread, you're doing a beautiful job!

OK, this was really a dumb idea. Probably the dumbest thing I've done since I declared to my wife that I could build a chicken coop in about 2 weeks. BTW, thanx for all the updates on the sand. You saved me a serious headache!!

OK, back to the dumb idea. The prototype worked really well. It was large and heavy, but I knew I could reduce the size and weight with the saw. But I didn't even think about the fact that I only have 20 sq feet of floor space in the coop, and it's looking like I'm gonna have 5 to 6 birds. First prototype assembly,,,,,

But not once ever thinking that this thing would take up several sq feet of coop space, I wandered out to the south forty and got ready to do the install. Doop!!!

So if anyone wants a nicely assembled poop drawer,,there it is!!

Now what to do? Guess I'll just trim in the end of the coop and nesting boxes. Have to get something constructive done today.

Oh well. At least the ladies are walking the gangplank,,,,,all the way up to the guillotine door. How ironic.
ep.gif

I only joined this site tonight and have just spent half an hour reading through all the posts on your thread, thank you for making me laugh out loud. Ok granted that as I'm from England there were just one or two things that got lost in translation, all the fantastic pictures were a great help. Your chicken coop is amazing, glad to see the ladies are getting used to their new home, I'm sure they will grow to appreciate all the co ordinated fixtures and fittings after all your hard work.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom