The Middle Tennessee Thread

Welcome from another NOOB in Lewisburg. I am also a first time chicken parent. I jumped in both feet with 37. 11 bard rock, 12 black australorp (now 10), 11 speckled Sussex, and 5 guinea fowl. My chicken math is horrible ;)

Hey everyone! Dickson County here! My boyfriend and I are first time chicken parents and we love them way more than we ever expected! We have 6 hens...2 RIR, 2 BR, 1 BO and 1 Leghorn. We got them when they were a week old and they are now 12.5 weeks old. I've been reading BYC for a while ans have gotten great info and finally decided to make an account. Glad to be here :)

Welcome as an official BYC'er!

Hey Cree!
ChicKat sent me to you, I'm on the search for some Isbar chickies! Any availible now or near future? Thanks!

Welcome to BYC and the Middle TN thread!

If you are interested in Silverudd Blue there are several threads. One is called Silverudd Blue, another Blue Isbars and another is Isbars.

I PM'd you.

Hey everyone! I'm in Cheatham County. Can anyone tell me what breeds are in demand around this area? I've had chickens for about 2.5 years now, but have just decided to get into breeding, as well as raising pheasants and quail. I just hatched out Olive Eggers this week, but no one seems to be interested in them. I don't want to raise birds that no one wants and be stuck with more that I can handle or need. Any suggestions?

Hey everyone! I'm in Cheatham County. Can anyone tell me what breeds are in demand around this area? I've had chickens for about 2.5 years now, but have just decided to get into breeding, as well as raising pheasants and quail. I just hatched out Olive Eggers this week, but no one seems to be interested in them. I don't want to raise birds that no one wants and be stuck with more that I can handle or need. Any suggestions?

That's a great question! There seems to be no shortage of Easter or Olive Eggers around. I can tell you what I'm interested in, and what seems to be hard to find around here and others can chime in hopefully. English Orpingtons, (rare colors and Jubilees), Purebred Ameraucanas, Dominiques, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. I have noticed Australorps seem to sell out here very fast as well. I'm also interested in Swedish Flower Hens, but I don't know how well they sell around here. I just don't see them very often.
1f914.png

Last edited:
That's a great question! There seems to be no shortage of Easter or Olive Eggers around. I can tell you what I'm interested in, and what seems to be hard to find around here and others can chime in hopefully. English Orpingtons, (rare colors and Jubilees), Purebred Ameraucanas, Dominiques, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. I have noticed Australorps seem to sell out here very fast as well. I'm also interested in Swedish Flower Hens, but I don't know how well they sell around here. I just don't see them very often.
1f914.png

I've got you covered in the SFH variety. I don't believe I have sold 1 locally, but especially in the northeast they are very popular. They are my favorites!

Australorps do seem to do well and to have some really good heritage Australorps close by would be wonderful.

Well... after several attempts to restart my Barred Rocks I am roo-less.  I decided I will just sell my Barred pullets.  I can use the pen to work on BLUE Rocks.  That has been a project I have wanted to work on for YEARS and now I FINALLY have a really nice Blue Rock cockerel.  I also have some new enthusiasm for my Silver Penciled Rocks.  I just had a hatch with chipmunk striped chicks so that means I now have the start of my BLUE Silver Penciled Rocks.  So in the fall my farm is going to be a little different. 

I have a few breeds I have decided to sell out too.  With reducing numbers breeds I can replace down the road have to go.  Blue Silkies, White Silkies, Beliefelders, Brees, BLRW hens and now the Barred Rocks.  I have already sold all the orps the extra roos are going to the roo guy soo. 

We have to take a trip in July so I want to get my numbers WAY down.  I am not going to hatch anything after this week.  If you know me at all... you know that is going to be SO HARD!  Guess I need to put an ad up on the BST for all my eggs.  But all is good I get to make some pen changes to get ready for me to hatch again in late July.  (Don't tell but I do kinda like having fewer birds.

WISH ME LUCK sorting pens the next few days weeks. 

Are you still selling?

I've got you covered in the SFH variety. I don't believe I have sold 1 locally, but especially in the northeast they are very popular. They are my favorites! Australorps do seem to do well and to have some really good heritage Australorps close by would be wonderful.
I have an australorp hen, and used to have a roo, but got rid of him when I moved because my silkie roo was beating him up. I may look into more australorp since I already have half the setup!

Back
Top Bottom