The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

Congrats Julie. Maned ducks (Australian woodducks)are really hard to find.Just a thought but Ringed teal are pretty,friendly and easy birds to keep. Plus they have color year round and they are only one of the two species of ducks that make a whistling sound when they fly.Plus they make hilarious sounds. A great all around small duck that get along with mandies fine and use the same type raised nesting boxes. No permits needed and easy to find and purchase. Check em out. Shawn
There is a breeder with maned ducks that is a few hours away, but I will check into ring teal more. Friendly is mostly what I'm after. Love the little mandies, and I know no exotic is going to be anywhere near as tame as domestics, but I'd like something as tame as possible.
smile.png

yep and astralian wood ducks are pretty darn big. I had a few pair back in the day. Not very aggressive, just big
Thanks. It's so hard to judge size by pics, they looked like little ducks on stilts lol. If I get something big it's going to be a pair of geese like bar headed, and I'm not ready for that yet so I'll look more into the little ducks.

I also like chiloe wigeons. Are there any pros/cons with them compared to ring teal? They are all so pretty, it's going to be hard making up my mind what I want, lol.

I wouldnt ever say that alot of wild type ducks

cant be just as tame as domestics. Heres a pic of me and some of my ducks a coupla years ago that shoot that down.lol! The Chloes Ive kept before were never as friendly as ringed teal can be but I always loved the way Chloes would talk to each other and they are pretty as you know. Manes are friendly. And you may hit me for this following statement, But I find them uncolorful and boring Sorry but thats how mine were and so are my buddies he has now. I have also found all the treeducks to be friendly towards me and highly entertaining with their great voices. Whoever you get them from has to supply you with a 3-186 permit though. Most times the seller sends it with the bird. But theres really nothing to it. Its just a little piece of paper so the gov knows you didnt get it from the wild is all. I know you may not want permitted birds. But Im just saying its definitely no big deal as some people may lead you to think it is. Lots of nice choices indeed!!! Thats why I love the exotic and migratory waterfowl over domestics.

Last edited:
I wouldnt ever say that alot of wild type ducks

cant be just as tame as domestics. Heres a pic of me and some of my ducks a coupla years ago that shoot that down.lol! The Chloes Ive kept before were never as friendly as ringed teal can be but I always loved the way Chloes would talk to each other and they are pretty as you know. Manes are friendly. And you may hit me for this following statement, But I find them uncolorful and boring Sorry but thats how mine were and so are my buddies he has now. I have also found all the treeducks to be friendly towards me and highly entertaining with their great voices. Whoever you get them from has to supply you with a 3-186 permit though. Most times the seller sends it with the bird. But theres really nothing to it. Its just a little piece of paper so the gov knows you didnt get it from the wild is all. I know you may not want permitted birds. But Im just saying its definitely no big deal as some people may lead you to think it is. Lots of nice choices indeed!!! Thats why I love the exotic and migratory waterfowl over domestics.
Lol, those look every bit as friendly as my domestic goose and call ducks. I need to get some mealworms and some nice weather to go sit with the mandies for awhile and see if I can get them to liking me. As for the uncolorful and boring, well, I kind of agree lol. The main reason I wanted the maned ducks was because I kept reading how they are easily tamed.
lol.png
What are the big ducks in the first pic by the knees? I don't think a federal permit would be all that big a pain to get, and might be worth it if I end up finding something I fall in love with that requires it, but then I'd have a ton more choices and never be able to make up my mind what I'm getting next.
roll.png
I've played around with the idea of just not messing with the chickens anymore and covering their whole yard for an ornamental pen, but that will be a few years down the road after I'm sure that's what I really want to do.

I've got a breeding trio of wild " Spoonies " in our pond. They've gotten more social to us people now. When we throw out Some seed for our geese and ducks they get out of the water and get some. They've been here for a good while. Anything I should do or just leave them be?
How neat!
I think you should take some pics and show us.
big_smile.png

Heres another pic of the tall cuban treeducks and cape teal to the right

fulvous,black-bellied and white faced tree ducks
I really like the tree ducks. Not as flashy colorwise, but still really pretty and fun looking. I think I want 2 of everything, I'm never going to be able to decide.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom