The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

You need one federal permit, called a "waterfowl sale and disposal permit" to sell any native waterfowl species that you legally acquired from another breeder. That breeder needs to provide you with a 3-186 transfer slip for each individual bird on each purchase.

Keep in mind that you'll need to figure out the wildlife laws that pertain to keeping waterfowl in your own state first. USFWS will not issue the federal permit until you show you've met your state permit.

The permitting sounds daunting to many but it really isn't. Make sure you have all your state permits and 3-186 slips in order and you'll be fine.

Hello guys, I have had mandarins for a year now and they are doing great. I am in the process of making a small pen for a pair of Hooded Mergansers. The pen will be 12'X15'. My question is about the size of the pond needed. I would like to stay small if possible, like 3X5' and maybe 18" deep. I intend on changing the water every few days. Would this be too small for a single pair? I would like to go bigger but water cost in my neck of the woods is prohibitively high. The pen will be heavily planted and with large logs. Thanx a lot!

OK so my hoodies came a few days ago. So excited! They are only picking at he crumbles(but they are eating a little). I throw some floating catfish food in there every day but they aren't interested in it at all. With the crumbles, how much protein percent should I be aiming for with hoodies? Right now I'm using Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein). Is that high enough or do I need to go to gamebird crumbles(around 30%)? Thanks a bunch guys!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom