The Moment of Truth, Do I have Pullets or Cockerels?

Ah, well thanks. It's a sad night for me, any ideas on finding a good owner for him?
hit.gif

I'm going to wait as long as I can, but once the crowing comes I'll be jammed.

You can advertise him on Craigslist. You might also check with your local feed store. They may know of someone who would like to have him. They may even have a bulletin board you can advertise him on. You can also check with your local 4h. One of the students might like to have him. Good luck in re-homing Annie.

Thanks everyone, even if it's silly I'm going to have Annie DNA sexed before I make a decision. I am scared to sell from my feed store, as I am not sure they are reliable if I don't want Annie to wind up in the pot. I am absolutely devastated I had to get that unlucky one out of 99 perfectly sexed chicks. :'(

Thanks everyone, even if it's silly I'm going to have Annie DNA sexed before I make a decision. I am scared to sell from my feed store, as I am not sure they are reliable if I don't want Annie to wind up in the pot. I am absolutely devastated I had to get that unlucky one out of 99 perfectly sexed chicks. :'(

You're welcome. I'm confident that Annie's DNA will be male, but let us know the results when you get them. Thanks. :eek:)

You can pay for DNA sexing if you want, but I am sure Annie is a cockerel. Hatchery accuracy runs around 90% so accidental cockerels do happen. I had 2 out of 6 EEs last year turn out male.

Just a quick happy ending to the gender mix-up! A friend of mine knows someone who lives on a small farm and will take Annie cull-free! Yay!

ya.gif
wee.gif
yesss.gif

Haha, I love these little yellow guys!

-El

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I took Annie (who is keeping his feminine name according to his new family) to his new home earlier today and I can tell that he is going to be really happy. They plan on free ranging a lot, and they have a no-kill flock. I don't think I could have found a better place, I am so happy to know that he will live out the rest of his days serenely. He really deserves it, he's a very handsome and very sweet rooster.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom