The most indecisive person on BYC strikes again/help me decide what to get

Which of these three breeds should I get?

• Cochin/pekin bantam

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Brahma

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Phoenix

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Cochin (LF)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Pheonix are neither poofy or stand their ground birds. They scatter faster than leghorns if spooked, even but their flockmates.

As for when you want to be hatching eggs, I don't think that's going to happen if you get birds that aren't in their second laying cycle. None of those breeds lays early and you don't want to hatch pullet eggs anyways

True, though their first hatch I'm planning on putting eggs from my landrace hens under them, so that doesn't concern me much. Plus, usually after two months of laying pullet eggs are fine (still not the greatest but you get what I mean) to hatch. As for Phoenix not being poofy, yes they definitely are not, another reason I put them on this list is that a cross of them and my LF chickens would make an excellent free rangers, something that the other breeds definitely don't possess

I vote Cochin Bantams! My rooster is an Ameraucana/Cochin cross, and he is the nicest rooster I've had. I have heard that Cochins are friendly birds; even the roosters. Although, I'm not sure how they would handle the hot summers well...

I vote Cochin Bantams! My rooster is an Ameraucana/Cochin cross, and he is the nicest rooster I've had. I have heard that Cochins are friendly birds; even the roosters. Although, I'm not sure how they would handle the hot summers well...

I'd think it's the same as what @3KillerBs said over at my brahma thread, that a poofy bird would kind of be insulated by its feathers for both hot and cold weather

Back
Top Bottom