The most indecisive person on BYC strikes again/help me decide what to get

Which of these three breeds should I get?

• Cochin/pekin bantam

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Brahma

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Phoenix

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Cochin (LF)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Based on the criteria in your first post, I also think Cochin bantams fit the bill best of those three breeds.

Regarding large fowl Cochins, while my bantams are fine in the heat, my large fowl Cochins really struggle if it's very much warmer than 80-85°F. I refer to around that temperature as their 'melting point', as they like to lay out on the ground when they're too warm and it looks like they're melting into a puddle. See attached picture for an example of a melting large fowl Cochin. 🤭 So if excessive heat is an issue where you live, bantams would probably be a better choice in my experience.

Flury melting 9-21-19.jpg

From personal experience bantams being so much smaller they don't seem to trap the heat in as much as large fowl. I am more comfortable with fluffy bantams than fluffy large fowl in Mississippi for that reason. However we don't do alot of special care winter or summer so we do favor the more self reliant types :caf

My silkies are excluded from that requirement, since they are barely able to qualify as chickens anyway.

I'm weird

The more I see the Cult of the Fluffy Butts more I U turn to the murder fowl :gig

I personally have created a symbiotic relationship. My murder chickens always come first, yet I want to have a second flock with poofy birds that are basically walking jokes and incubators (mean this in the best way possible)

On a (slightly) more serious note, I've gathered that due to the heat of the summer months here it'd be best to have bantam cochins rather than larger birds. Well, I guess my dream of having a huge pom pom ball and naming it pom pom won't come to life🤣. Not necessarily mad about it though, we all know chicken math doesn't apply to bantams, so we're all good:thumbsup

Based on the criteria in your first post, I also think Cochin bantams fit the bill best of those three breeds.

Regarding large fowl Cochins, while my bantams are fine in the heat, my large fowl Cochins really struggle if it's very much warmer than 80-85°F. I refer to around that temperature as their 'melting point', as they like to lay out on the ground when they're too warm and it looks like they're melting into a puddle. See attached picture for an example of a melting large fowl Cochin. 🤭 So if excessive heat is an issue where you live, bantams would probably be a better choice in my experience.

View attachment 3407903

That's a beautiful melting bird! I guess it's back to bantam cochins or brahmas then

Back
Top Bottom