The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quote:
My husband and I don't see eye to eye on this subject. If I had to, (I never have) I believe I could put a suffering animal out of it's misery, process animals for food and dispatch predators intent on eating my flock. I would not want to do it, but I think I could. My husband on the other hand thinks it is wrong to take any life. I told him if anyone ever broke into our home, he better give me the gun and get out of the way while I defend us. lol

My husband and I don't see eye to eye on this subject. If I had to, (I never have) I believe I could put a suffering animal out of it's misery, process animals for food and dispatch predators intent on eating my flock. I would not want to do it, but I think I could. My husband on the other hand thinks it is wrong to take any life. I told him if anyone ever broke into our home, he better give me the gun and get out of the way while I defend us. lol

X2!
While my bf doesn't say he believes it is wrong, he says he is not cut out for survival because he feels animals are too innocent to deserve death by our hands.
Well, my dear, I will be the one keeping us alive during an apocalypse with my chickens and future rabbits and goats. :)

A few people may have known about this little girl here before me posting the announcement - but here she is! Our alpaca! She is not yet named. She is 3 weeks old right now, so won't be coming home for quite a while yet, but she is ours. My mother bought her for us for our barn warming. \ With her mother - they live at the zoo. They are currently in the petting area, though they are not tame yet. :love Oh and all yesterday everyone worked on the fence at our barn warming/fence building party. It's not done, but once the gates are in, Susan and I can handle the rest (I hope). Some of the chicks we hatched yesterday as well. 15 Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rocks, 2 Easter Eggers and Six Silkies.
What a beautiful cria, is she a Huacaya? I love the colours. As for cost of getting the fiber washed and spun, some spinners (myself included) will do it for half the fleece, and I hear, though I've never worked with it, cria fleece (thwir first fleece) is particularly desirable.

Just curious do either of these guys eat store bought meat? (or any for that matter)

My husband won't kill for meat (never been a choice between being hungry and killing though) he would euthanize to end misery if I were not around, but he wouldn't like it at all, and wouldn't do it if I were here. My husband does not think it is wrong to kill for food, he just doesn't want to do it.

What a beautiful cria, is she a Huacaya? I love the colours. As for cost of getting the fiber washed and spun, some spinners (myself included) will do it for half the fleece, and I hear, though I've never worked with it, cria fleece (thwir first fleece) is particularly desirable.
Had to google those terms. I am certain she is a Huacaya - as her mother and father were those classic smaller teddy bear looking alpacas.

I like that idea :) Splitting the fibre. That would be awesome. I think I'd be able to shear myself. I do my poodle's grooming (not the same I know) but it takes me two hours minimum. If I can handle her screaming at me whenever I touch her feet, and the ache in my back I can do an alpaca. I just have to tame her down first. Also, really glad she is in the petting area of the zoo. I think all this human exposure will be good for her (hope so..) There is 4 of the alpacas in with the deer, who are very people friendly. Fingers crossed! :)

Yes her colours are not common from these guys according to our zookeeper friend. She is the only one who has been born with those unique colours in all the years they have had them.
Just curious do either of these guys eat store bought meat? (or any for that matter)

My husband won't kill for meat (never been a choice between being hungry and killing though) he would euthanize to end misery if I were not around, but he wouldn't like it at all, and wouldn't do it if I were here. My husband does not think it is wrong to kill for food, he just doesn't want to do it.
Will he eat birds you have killed?

I find it rather disturbing that people find it strange that we eat our own meat because we have raised them.. Thinking it was sad. What is sad is the way store bought meat (for the most part) is raised and then slaughtered. I'd much rather eat something I know had a good life. Who had many good days and only ONE bad one.

thought we were doing good-had not be hit by the bobcat in over 3 weeks-till yesterday. Got 10 new pullets(since flock was down to 6) and cat came all the way in yard and got my only RIR pullet. must have happened around 4 pm. I went to garden to get some basil for dinner and saw a big pile of feathers and followed a trail of dropped feather off over the fence into the woods. had to have been the bob cat. Later when I put the girls in for the nite in their coop and gave them some food, my husband said how nice I was to be fattening-up the hens for the cat! guess a hazzard of free ranging

Beautiful animals
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom