The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Wow. Disaster averted. We're all just hours or a day away from predation.

Having gone through a disaster by predation in late winter myself, vigilance is everything. Since the coyote attack, we have wired the outside of all pens. Last night around midnight a pack of coyotes woke me up yipping and howling right outside the bedroom window. I went outside at day break and was relieved the fences kept them out. No carnage.

I know. But this should have been done by now, and I'm just starting. It's just a simple hat, so it shouldn't take long. I'd love to have it done today, but I'll need prayer to make that happen. It's for a good cause, and I'm pretty sure God approves.

Okay. If God approves than a prayer for your success! :D
Quote: @MumsyII Could you tell us how you did your wiring? And maybe a photo?

I think there are a couple areas I need to do for this winter when the electric net comes down. I've been contemplating the best way to accomplish it.

@armorfirelady
What do you think killed the coon?

Last edited:
Could you tell us how you did your wiring? And maybe a photo?

I think there are a couple areas I need to do for this winter when the electric net comes down. I've been contemplating the best way to accomplish it.
I had a thirty year old hot box that hadn't been used in decades. We dusted it off and my husband grounded it and I found a bucket full of old insulators and handles. Bought a roll of fencing wire and went at it. I string the wire four to six inches from the ground around all outside pens and then bought some new posts at the feed store and set them up just inside my property line where the predators were coming through. The flock respects it for the most part. Some chicks slip back and forth underneath and some of the RIR hens have learned to hop over it. The poor silkies with adult crests ran into so much they finally learned to avoid the whole area where the fence is. They have no idea what was 'biting' them but they stay in the yard now. It really isn't for keeping chickens in because I put them in their pens for the night. It is working at keeping cats, dogs, raccoons, and coyotes out.

I unplug the fencer during the day when I'm home and outside. Most days.

The old hot box hangs just inside the door of the barn and the electrical outlet is just below it. I can unplug the box or turn the switch on or off at the outlet. The ground wire runs to the outside to a steel post sunk deep into the ground that remains slightly damp in the shade so there is always a good ground.

That brown wire comes from the hot box in the barn and the end is spliced to the hot wire on the insulator.

I have three strands along the exposed hoop coop and up the posts. No climbing critters or digging critters have gotten through yet. I raised turkeys in here and now it's the grow out pen for the male silkies. This pen took a big hit from the coyote. He dug under. Not since it was wired.

These are the posts I bought at the feed store. This is the barrier from my property where the coyote came through. It's working right now to keep them out.

A simple solution around the perimeter of the outside runs. I can step over them to open the gates or just unhook for the day. My normal practice after turning the juice off if I'm home.

We rarely get snow. I also need to regularly check it for shorts on grass or brush touching it. Not difficult because my property is small.

I saw this on ScienceDaily:

Wild sheep show benefits of putting up with parasites
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140807145938.htm?utm_source=feedburner

I've been hearing/reading about immune systems and internal parasites. There are some theories that auto-immune diseases may be exacerbated by our being "too clean" and having no parasites to defend against--causing the immune system to attach its own body.

Just thought it was interesting.

I saw this on ScienceDaily:

Wild sheep show benefits of putting up with parasites
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140807145938.htm?utm_source=feedburner

I've been hearing/reading about immune systems and internal parasites. There are some theories that auto-immune diseases may be exacerbated by our being "too clean" and having no parasites to defend against--causing the immune system to attach its own body.

Just thought it was interesting.
I've heard that before too...that there is a symbiotic relationship that is beneficial for the host when in balance...kind of like the yeast/bacteria balance that keeps us from being overloaded with yeast (candida).

I haven't read the article you posted yet but going to later today!

I read an article years back where they did a study with a group of people with arthritis. One group was given an intestinal parasite, while the control group was not. The group with the parasites had a decrease of pain, while the control group did not. After the study, the parasites were eliminated, and a number of the group soon asked if they could please have their parasites back b/c their pain returned. Don't ask for references, because it was years ago.

What do you think killed the coon?

No idea. Doesn't seem to have any wounds that I could see. I contacted the Health Dept to see if they wanted it tested but since no one had an exposure as far as I know they wont test it for rabies. I will just toss it when I get home from work.

I knew I had coons around. They get killed by cars in the street & I have seen tracks in the winter. I haven't caught any on the game cam tho. Tho I am not complaining about that :)

Not sure if ya all have a "water mart" where you live.. We get the wheat grass left overs.. The flock goes crazy for it.. We put it in a Tupperware container, that allows it to grow 2more times.. We cut it about 2-4 days and toss it in their run.. They get the whole flat at the end of the growing cycle.. Of course you can grow it yourself, however since we have the hook up it saves us time in prepairing the flats.. Here is a photo of a Moma hen scratching it with her babies..

Back
Top Bottom