The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Hopefully you catch him. I haven't had troubles with coons. One year a coyote took 10 birds before we got him. I know the feeling of losing them. :(
That's a lot of birds to lose! We have them in the area also but so far have only shot 1 right on the edge of our yard. We have 4 fox in the immediate area too. I'm assuming it's a coon but I could be wrong. There's been a trail of feathers each time and that's it, no blood or anything.

That's a lot of birds to lose! We have them in the area also but so far have only shot 1 right on the edge of our yard. We have 4 fox in the immediate area too. I'm assuming it's a coon but I could be wrong. There's been a trail of feathers each time and that's it, no blood or anything.
My understanding is coons will eat the crop and leave the bird. Fox and coyote take them elsewhere to eat. Both are hard to catch in the act, and catch in general. Took us almost 2 months to finally catch our coyote in the act. It learned our habits and only visited after my husband left for work and before I got out to the shed. Hopefully you get it. I generally leave wildlife alone until it comes for my birds.

Good morning!

DMC, sorry about your loss. Hope you catch the culprit soon.

I forgot to announce my "big" news on the 15th...we are now 1/2 through the golf course season! Only 3 months left to go. I celebrated by coming home for 2 hours in the middle of the day to take a nap.

Sunflour, I loved the photo you shared on the "chicken decor" thread. You should post it here too!

Hope you all have a great day (even if it is Monday)!

Good morning!

DMC, sorry about your loss. Hope you catch the culprit soon.

I forgot to announce my "big" news on the 15th...we are now 1/2 through the golf course season! Only 3 months left to go. I celebrated by coming home for 2 hours in the middle of the day to take a nap.

Sunflour, I loved the photo you shared on the "chicken decor" thread. You should post it here too!

Hope you all have a great day (even if it is Monday)!
Thanks Debby! We caught 2 coons in the trap this morning. Scared the heck out of me when I was walking up to the live trap. It is right out front of the chicken coop and the girls can see it and they were extremely quiet...that is not normal for them. They are usually obnoxious and want out. When our dog was in his prime we had no issues at all with any critters. I think it's probably time too add a new dog since Bear is in retirement mode. I'm glad you are half way through the summer but feel bad that you can't enjoy it. I will be happy to see you on here more often and I'm sure all will agree with meThat was a fabulous picture of Sunflour with her rooster.

My understanding is coons will eat the crop and leave the bird. Fox and coyote take them elsewhere to eat. Both are hard to catch in the act, and catch in general. Took us almost 2 months to finally catch our coyote in the act. It learned our habits and only visited after my husband left for work and before I got out to the shed. Hopefully you get it. I generally leave wildlife alone until it comes for my birds.
I know it's natural for them and I feel bad but I love my girls. Scary that animals can learn peoples habits. We set up a trail cam a few weeks ago and there were fox and coons right next to the coop so it could very well be a fox that got my girls.

Thanks Debby! We caught 2 coons in the trap this morning. Scared the heck out of me when I was walking up to the live trap. It is right out front of the chicken coop and the girls can see it and they were extremely quiet...that is not normal for them. They are usually obnoxious and want out. When our dog was in his prime we had no issues at all with any critters. I think it's probably time too add a new dog since Bear is in retirement mode. I'm glad you are half way through the summer but feel bad that you can't enjoy it. I will be happy to see you on here more often and I'm sure all will agree with meThat was a fabulous picture of Sunflour with her rooster.
Glad you got somebody. Coons are scary in the traps, hissing and growling.

A new dog is always a good idea in my opinion, just get one that doesn't eat chickens.

Glad you got somebody. Coons are scary in the traps, hissing and growling.

A new dog is always a good idea in my opinion, just get one that doesn't eat chickens.
Thanks OHLD! I called on a German shepherd puppy today. I would love a lab but hubby and one of our boys want a shepherd. Both are expensive dogs. We lucked out with our current dog as he hasn't eaten any chickens. He was $100 from the humane society but come fixed. We will see what happens. Now would be a good time to get a pup as there is no field work until September and it could get used to us all.

Thanks OHLD! I called on a German shepherd puppy today. I would love a lab but hubby and one of our boys want a shepherd. Both are expensive dogs. We lucked out with our current dog as he hasn't eaten any chickens. He was $100 from the humane society but come fixed. We will see what happens. Now would be a good time to get a pup as there is no field work until September and it could get used to us all.
I had a German shepherd as a kid, she was a great dog and companion. Please share photos if you get one, I am always in withdrawal from puppies. It has been 2 years since my last puppy, I get puppy fever yearly, but I am topped at at 5 dogs, doesn't stop the want though. :)

Yes, we want photos when you get a puppy DMC! German Shepherds are gorgeous dogs and very cute puppies.

Our daughter announced the other day she wanted an Old English Sheepdog! All I could think was "All that HAIR"! I have steered her towards wanting a Rough Coated Collie instead. But it'll be a long road to get one involving lots of saving, so it'll be interesting to see if she sticks with it.

Back
Top Bottom