The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Never ate the brains, but squirrel is probably my favorite of the wild meats.
altho i like squirrel, deer meat, quail, dove, wild hog, its a toss up which i like more, mullet(fish) or gopher(land turtle) but the gopher is now protected and you can't have them but i just can't handle brains, i hated the taste

When I was a kid I loved my grandma's mincemeat pie. Years later, I tried a few recipes trying to re-create hers with no luck. It wasn't until I was telling my brother about the pies that he let me know grandma made her mince from squirrel!

End of experiment...no canned squirrel at the grocery store (and no, I'm not going squirrel hunting).
no, none that i know of and had to take alot of squirrels to make a pie

we could too if you were closer to our place in defuniak springs fl. we live on squirrel road and believe me they named the place right and very few get killed on the road

Maybe FL is the squirrel state. When we lived in north/central FL, we were overrun with the darn things. It was a constant battle to keep them out of the garden. :rolleyes:

Squirrels sound like a lot of work to get a decent meal, especially if you are filleting them to make mincemeat.

We are having rat problems again thanks to the warm, spring weather (though we do have a cold snap headed our way). We've had bait out for three days and they've eaten through 4 blocks each day. I know a terrier will not be cheap (I'm picking one will cost at least $2,500) but surely it's cheaper in the long run.

Petrol has gone up in price here yet again thanks to another new tax (then our Prime Minister is blaming the petrol companies for putting the price up and is all set to pass some bill so they can be investigated)! :barnie We still may not be able to afford to run two cars when we move. The bigger laugh is the government saying an investigation into the price of food in supermarkets could be next. Well, who keeps making it more expensive to move stuff around?! :he

I know we aren't supposed to get political on here but I'm the only Kiwi here so I've only got myself to argue with. :p

Now I'd better go clean out some quail and start cleaning up the house for Saturdays open home. Hope everyone has/has had a good day. And hopefully Hurricane Michael won't do too much damage. I haven't seen much coverage of that nasty looking storm in the news here.

Squirrels sound like a lot of work to get a decent meal, especially if you are filleting them to make mincemeat.

We are having rat problems again thanks to the warm, spring weather (though we do have a cold snap headed our way). We've had bait out for three days and they've eaten through 4 blocks each day. I know a terrier will not be cheap (I'm picking one will cost at least $2,500) but surely it's cheaper in the long run.

Petrol has gone up in price here yet again thanks to another new tax (then our Prime Minister is blaming the petrol companies for putting the price up and is all set to pass some bill so they can be investigated)! :barnie We still may not be able to afford to run two cars when we move. The bigger laugh is the government saying an investigation into the price of food in supermarkets could be next. Well, who keeps making it more expensive to move stuff around?! :he

I know we aren't supposed to get political on here but I'm the only Kiwi here so I've only got myself to argue with. :p

Now I'd better go clean out some quail and start cleaning up the house for Saturdays open home. Hope everyone has/has had a good day. And hopefully Hurricane Michael won't do too much damage. I haven't seen much coverage of that nasty looking storm in the news here.
i'm sure everyone agrees with you on government.
hope everything goes good for you and it sells
michael is doing alot of damage and probably there will be alot of lives lost, thats why i always say to run, things can be replaced, altho not cheaply maybe but your lives, no, they can't be replaced

Back
Top Bottom