The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Squirrels sound like a lot of work to get a decent meal, especially if you are filleting them to make mincemeat.

We are having rat problems again thanks to the warm, spring weather (though we do have a cold snap headed our way). We've had bait out for three days and they've eaten through 4 blocks each day. I know a terrier will not be cheap (I'm picking one will cost at least $2,500) but surely it's cheaper in the long run.

Petrol has gone up in price here yet again thanks to another new tax (then our Prime Minister is blaming the petrol companies for putting the price up and is all set to pass some bill so they can be investigated)! :barnie We still may not be able to afford to run two cars when we move. The bigger laugh is the government saying an investigation into the price of food in supermarkets could be next. Well, who keeps making it more expensive to move stuff around?! :he

I know we aren't supposed to get political on here but I'm the only Kiwi here so I've only got myself to argue with. :p

Now I'd better go clean out some quail and start cleaning up the house for Saturdays open home. Hope everyone has/has had a good day. And hopefully Hurricane Michael won't do too much damage. I haven't seen much coverage of that nasty looking storm in the news here.

Ugh, sorry about the rats Jae...nasty things :sick What sort of terrier are you wanting to get?

Re: the government, things just go round and round don't they?

Best of luck with the open house on Saturday!

altho i like squirrel, deer meat, quail, dove, wild hog, its a toss up which i like more, mullet(fish) or gopher(land turtle) but the gopher is now protected and you can't have them but i just can't handle brains, i hated the taste

When I was in Spain, one of the favorite Bar foods was deep fried sheep brains. They basically dumped the whole head in the fryer and when it came out, they'd run it through a band saw and plop it on your plate. For guy who made it through survival school (don't ask what we ate), I could never get there from here.

On the squirrel front, my Grandmother viewed them as the best delicacy around. So back in the day when I hunted, squirrel was pretty much in season along with birds and rabbits, so if I saw one, I'd bag it. I like squirrel but too little meat to bone and just too much work.

So I think the first time out I bagged like a half dozen... Took them home, dressed them out and bagged them up and off to Grandma's house I went. You would've thought I gave her gold. But apparently I didn't dress them properly and she asked that I just bring her the whole squirrel for the future. So after that, I stopped at her house on the way home. Each time it was like I brought her the best present ever. One day I finished hunting, but didn't deliver any squirrels... got a call from Grandpa: "you didn't see any squirrels?" Nope... "Got any rabbits?" Yup "Bring em over, all your Grandma has in the fridge is yard bird." So I happily delivered two of my six rabbits, but kept the livers for myself.

Jae, I'm right there with you on the govt thing... Not going to comment further, but it truly is a vicious cycle.

Jae, don't get me started on "the government", much less your
kiwi-smiley-emoticon.gif
government! but seriously hope things work out soon...sounds like our Gov "we have to pass the bill, so we can see what's in the bill"? :barnie

Hope your open house goes well! :)

When I was in Spain, one of the favorite Bar foods was deep fried sheep brains. They basically dumped the whole head in the fryer and when it came out, they'd run it through a band saw and plop it on your plate. For guy who made it through survival school (don't ask what we ate), I could never get there from here.

On the squirrel front, my Grandmother viewed them as the best delicacy around. So back in the day when I hunted, squirrel was pretty much in season along with birds and rabbits, so if I saw one, I'd bag it. I like squirrel but too little meat to bone and just too much work.

So I think the first time out I bagged like a half dozen... Took them home, dressed them out and bagged them up and off to Grandma's house I went. You would've thought I gave her gold. But apparently I didn't dress them properly and she asked that I just bring her the whole squirrel for the future. So after that, I stopped at her house on the way home. Each time it was like I brought her the best present ever. One day I finished hunting, but didn't deliver any squirrels... got a call from Grandpa: "you didn't see any squirrels?" Nope... "Got any rabbits?" Yup "Bring em over, all your Grandma has in the fridge is yard bird." So I happily delivered two of my six rabbits, but kept the livers for myself.

Jae, I'm right there with you on the govt thing... Not going to comment further, but it truly is a vicious cycle.
ls a yard bird a robin? i never ate one but my older siblings did, times were tough then and momma had a sawed off shotgun and the robin were plentiful so she took the gun and shot them(a whole flock)

Back
Top Bottom