The Old Folks Home

In a bit of a jam around here (ha, ha).

The wild muscadine vine that had overgrown an ornamental cherry in our yard was bearing a bumper crop of grapes this year, so Critter suggested that I turn them into jelly, and he could give that to his customers in lieu of poinsettias this year. When he floated the idea to some of his customers, they were enthusiastic, so materials were purchased and the project began. Unfortunately, Florence had other idea; at least half of the grapes hadn't been picked yet when she blew through and knocked them in the mud. No time to try for points now; even if we could get cuttings, the greenhouse is wrecked. What to do?

Well, it was a good year for blueberries, too; I have several bags of them in the freezer. Good ol' google found me a recipe, and I got a dozen jars of blueberry jam put up yesterday. Anticipating more of the same today.

The fruits of my labor:
20180930_100001.jpg

I am so glad we live where we do. The nearest large city is KC and it's over two hours away. Kirksville is only something like 14000. We like small town living....especially now.

I don't know if y'all remember me talking about doing a portrait of a family friend's French Bull dog. I started the portrait over a year ago, working on and off with it as I felt like it. I've been drawing since I was old enough to hold a pencil or crayon. I think my earliest memories are drawing when I was like 4. I took art in high school thinking about a career in art then it dawned on me that if I did it for a living I would be taking the joy out of it. My niece who studied art in college asked me why I didn't pursue a career in art and I told her that then it wouldn't be fun!

I've sold some paintings and sketches at Sci Fi conventions, but basically I enjoy drawing and painting what I like or doing a sketch as a gift as this one is intended. Once an artist at a Sci Fi convention looked at my work and commented that she had never seen anybody get shades out of pencils like I do and asked me if I had ever considered working with prisma pencils (colored oil pencils) I just chuckled. At the time I was recovering from RF, off work and money was pretty tight. Sure I told her but being poor, I was stuck with pencils!

DH bought me a boxed set of artist's pencils, paper, watercolors and brushes. My retirement plan!

So here, just about finished is Loki:
loki.JPG

Woo Hoo got my phone call today Radiation has been approved... The first day will be simulation... So the appointment will be Getting a CT scan With oral and Intravenal contrast... Then covering how to lay on the table.... then setting up a schedual.

So because of the CT scan it will be a two hour appointment... Drinking contrast...

So 3 pm April 3 will be the start.....
upload_2017-10-9_17-29-46-gif.1312396
and
upload_2017-9-25_21-40-53-gif.1312392

deb

dog got me up.... Went out to potty and now I hear her knawing on a bone... Its almost four here I dont have to be up till about eight to fix grandmas breakfast.

I went shopping yesterday and spent alot of time in Michaels... I needed to get up any way and take some Aleve and tylenol for the pain in my shoulders and knees.

Soon as i feel better Dog in and I will go back to bed.

deb

Ok, you're going to tease us? What did you get at Michaels?

Every time I wear my necklace I get serious compliments.

Al, it sucks. I'm sorry. There is nothing that will make the ache better.
Tomorrow is the anniversary of my dad's suicide and I had to have bf take my phone away today. First person messaged me around 9, lost it at work. I need to work this week, too many people out, so I passed my phone off and put my big girl panties on. I'm doing my best right now to stay on "safe" internet places - so now that I've said this please don't respond, but likely not be back until Wednesday, anyway.

Just popping in, 12hr shifts all week again, should be maybe the last... (yeah..maybe)
Haven't read back.:oops:

Every state has it's ups and downs, some things I love about ours, some things I 'strongly dislike', and think quite often of moving for various reasons (lot of awesome other places)...Lol.
You have to admit though, WE as a whole, have one heck of a country!!
'From sea to shining sea'
download.jpeg

Every time she chomps down on me I think of SCGs perpetually broody turkey hen....I miss those reports.....and seeing SCG's beautiful quiliting projects.

Has anybody heard from her lately?
Thanks @getaclue. If you talk to her tell her she is missed, please.

Awwww you guys. Clue told me you were asking about me, or rather TBTFH...

Turkey is just fine. It's still the season of "Not Quite Spring" here in Maine (it snowed on Wednesday and Thursday I needed the air conditioning in my car), so she's not laying. I anticipate late April to early May for her first egg, and then 3 weeks later for the months of agony and anger to begin.

I've been... tired. March and most of April were extraordinarily busy for me at work. I put in so many hours. So. Many. Hours. Last weekend was the first weekend I've gotten off. I've put in my normal hours, overnight hours, night hours, weekend hours, hours hours. I've dealt with 0100 crises and so many problems I never dreamed I'd have.

And in between the So. Many. Hours, I've been sewing face masks and headbands with buttons as ear protectors for elastic masks. This weekend is hopefully my last batch of homemade face masks.

I've had a mask on my face for so long I'm starting to dream I'm in Alien.
alien_facehugger.jpg

I made my public-use face mask out of outhouse fabric. It's my own thinly veiled social commentary on this crappy situation.

Other than working and sewing, I've been working out. It's really helped during this stressful time and I've lost a little over 20 lbs (and put on a bunch of muscle) in the last 6 months or so. It's been great for my back and knees, but not so great for Ripley, anymore. You see, 3 weeks ago I also decided I was going to start jogging a few times a week and I signed up for a 5K in September. I've just started doing Couch to 5K and I've been taking Ripley along since she acts like I can't go anywhere without her and we do a daily walk anyway. Well... the first half mile jog ever and I get to the lake to turn around...
92434082_2800048746716335_5046945945598558208_o.jpg

Today, halfway through the jog I literally heard Ripley swear and quit, and then she basically turned into a Hound Anchor. She refused to go at any pace other than slow walking (the speed of a good sniff). She did not want to go back to the house, but I eventually won so I could finish my jog, and came home to this (and it's too bad I didn't take video of the snores):

94688219_2840567712664438_6700248801094926336_o.jpg

Yeah, she's over jogging. Apparently I've found something that I can do without her.

I realize my "lofty" goal of a 5K probably isn't much to some of you, but I am not a runner. I have never been a runner, nor have I wanted to be a runner. But I need a good personal challenge and I've got this. I also have to do the 5K carrying a freakin' pumpkin... I'll start running with my small kettlebell in a few weeks. I'm not sure what my neighbors are going to think...

Hope you enjoyed my update. Miss y'all.

Remember me saying I was baking cookies? I started with Christmas trees. They looked great, but were hard as rocks. I have a new King Arthur Flour pan, and it's thick. I thought it might be that it was so thick, and heavy that it might not be heating up well, in the short time it takes to bake cookies. I played with temps. Nope. I ordered the cheap Wilton pans, since that's what I've used before. Nope. Still rock hard. I used up all the flour in the canister, and poured a new bag in it. Yesterday, I decided to give it one more try. They came out perfect.

Come to find out, Dd #1 had put the previous flour in the canister. She put All Purpose flour in it, instead of Self-Rising. Sheesh! 200 bad cookies, all because she put in the wrong flour. Had I known, I have the baking powder, and could have resolved the problem, but I DIDN'T know. That never dawned on me. I spent yesterday, and today baking cookies. Tomorrow morning, I'll make up the flow icing, and start getting them decorated. Decorating them is the time consuming part.

Back
Top Bottom