The Olive-Egger thread!

Hi, I got some olive egger hatching eggs in the post. Copper black marans x cream legbar, the ad said pullets dark males lighter does anyone know if this is correct for this cross. 5 hatched, 4 darkish and one ginger stripe!

My F3 olive egger is from FBCM crossed with Creamlegbar...the formula is dark brown egg layer with blue...doesn't matter what breed. Do you have pics? Love to see them.
smile.png

Hi, I got some olive egger hatching eggs in the post. Copper black marans x cream legbar, the ad said pullets dark males lighter does anyone know if this is correct for this cross. 5 hatched, 4 darkish and one ginger stripe!

My F3 olive egger is from FBCM crossed with Creamlegbar...the formula is dark brown egg layer with blue...doesn't matter what breed. Do you have pics? Love to see them.
smile.png

I think corkypx3 is asking about gender ID of that cross at hatch.
I know CLB are sexable at hatch but don't think BCM's are....the cross have no idea, sorry.
there's a couple folks who frequent this thread that would know tho, hopefully they'll pop in and give you an answer corkypx3.

Maybe I need to start following this thread too, we now have a olive egger too.

She's a Araucana-Black Copper Marans cross, 18 weeks and 5 days today. First egg was a bit cracked, but weighed 48 grams. Not too shabby.

Thanks y'all!!

I agree manning......olive is olive. Too bad that pairing is not repeatable because my friend has various roosters and hens that all free range....t'wasn't an arranged breeding.

So decided to keep the first egg shell, cut a large enough hole for the yolk (if there was one) to come out and preserve as much of the shell as possible.
Used a needle like diamond bit in my dremel tool to cut the hole......there was a yolk and I'm pretty sure it's fertile.
Which is kind of surprising as my Welsummer rooster who is only 20 weeks old has been practicing his treading with some success, but I didn't think he actually knew how to make contact..... but I guess he does.

Was looking at the piece I cut out, looked rather blue to me, scraped the membrane off and sure enough...blue egg shell.... not a strong blue, but blue none the less..
Again the colors are not quite true....but fairly accurate.
Our mutt roo seemed to be fertilizing the eggs at 14-15 weeks, they can mature quickly. He was jumping the girls before they started laying, and when we ate our first 8 eggs, about half of them had the bulls eye. Those were laid starting from when the roo was 14 weeks.

I'm hoping at least one is a pullet they all are acting rooish though but its my only my second hatch so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Maybe I need to start following this thread too, we now have a olive egger too.

She's a Araucana-Black Copper Marans cross, 18 weeks and 5 days today. First egg was a bit cracked, but weighed 48 grams. Not too shabby.

Nice!! Where did she get that topknot?

Quote: That would be from her mothers side, I'm guessing. We had two roos from the same mix, one of which now resides in our freezer after he became aggressive. The one that is no longer with us (in the sense that he's alive), had the chin tufts, while the other one had the same hairdo as this girl. After his comb started growing, it doesn't show anymore though. First picture is of him a few weeks ago, second a bit over a month ago, third is his brother who is no longer with us also maybe a bit over a month ago.

That would be from her mothers side, I'm guessing. We had two roos from the same mix, one of which now resides in our freezer after he became aggressive. The one that is no longer with us (in the sense that he's alive), had the chin tufts, while the other one had the same hairdo as this girl. After his comb started growing, it doesn't show anymore though. First picture is of him a few weeks ago, second a bit over a month ago, third is his brother who is no longer with us also maybe a bit over a month ago.

Hmmmm....I didn't know head tufts where an Araucana or BCM trait...maybe different lines over there?

The Rooster does not look anything like our Marans. It looks for like a Crested Cream Legabar. Are the eggs Marans scale dark?

Congratulations on the pretty OE egg!

Back
Top Bottom