The Olive-Egger thread!

here are some of my OE crosses hatched on new years! i have two barred looking ones.....mom a OE cross, dad a Japanese bantam
This is Leven.....hatched at 4:11. the other day he CROWED! LOL funniest thing in the world to see a 2 week old chick squeak attempt a crow!
gig.gif

I have several young Black Ameraucana Cockerels from Paul Smith I would like to use them over some FBCM hens. I cant read all the treads on this topic just too many but I have read some that say you should use the FBCM rooster over the Ameraucana hen just would work better for me at this time the other way. Will I get Olive Eggers using the Ameraucana Rooster over the FBCM hens and wondering what color they wil be Black I guess...lol ?

I have several young Black Ameraucana Cockerels from Paul Smith I would like to use them over some FBCM hens. I cant read all the treads on this topic just too many but I have read some that say you should use the FBCM rooster over the Ameraucana hen just would work better for me at this time the other way. Will I get Olive Eggers using the Ameraucana Rooster over the FBCM hens and wondering what color they wil be Black I guess...lol ?

You could get some with copper streaks in the neck.

All but 2 of my F1 Olive Eggers are now laying. Very happy with the results! Second pic is a test hatch in my styrofoam bator, mainly banty naked necks. Very happy with my Marans egg color as well. Trying to decide if I want to cross the olive eggers back to the Marans or not. With the Marans color being so dark, I am wondering if it will let any of the olive through or if I will end back up with just dark brown eggs. Thoughts?

It should not matter for egg color since the egg color genes are not sex linked.

Last edited:
It should not matter for egg color since the egg color genes are not sex linked.
there are so many undocumented brown egg shell genes(remember that its a poligenic trait) that some of them may actually are

Edit..

Actually Dr. David D Caveney on one of his many outcross test said this: sourcehttp://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=37936#Post37936

Years back when we were making crosses between and among various strains and breeds we discovered two situations that seemed quite repeatable:
1. When white egg and brown egg birds were crossed it was extremely difficult to take tints out of the resulting "white egg lines"...we later learned that the brown pigments are controlled by multiple alleles some of which are sex-linked. One line was still throwing tints after 12 generations of selection.
2. When selecting for darkness of shells in brown egg crosses it is possible to select within populations for darker colors. It is most effective to select for those colors early in the laying cycle because eggs thend to lighten over the laying period. Intestinal microflora can also adversely affect pigmentation. The feeding of Virginiamycin (not approved then and maybe still not approved) would darken the pigmentation of the shells in brown egg breeds

and there is a documented gene called: Inhibitor of Brown Egg-Shell = "pr" : sex-linked recessive

source: http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations3.html

SO, I would advise using a BCM roo over a Ameraucana just so the pullets inherit any of these sex linked genes

Last edited:
[COLOR=0000FF]Very exciting!! I set on Monday…oh boy, gonna be a long winter.[/COLOR]
Longer for you, for sure. :) Maybe you need to have a talk with that groundhog thingy!! Cute goat! Do you milk? I want to (someday) get mini-nub's.
Yes, I've milked, but if you're asking about my Avatar...nope. I have never milked him.:lau
All but 2 of my F1 Olive Eggers are now laying. Very happy with the results! Second pic is a test hatch in my styrofoam bator, mainly banty naked necks. Very happy with my Marans egg color as well. Trying to decide if I want to cross the olive eggers back to the Marans or not. With the Marans color being so dark, I am wondering if it will let any of the olive through or if I will end back up with just dark brown eggs. Thoughts?
Seriously?! Those are F1!? They are amazing. Can you cross back to a cockerel carrying the blue gene? I wonder how that would go...

Back
Top Bottom