The Olive-Egger thread!

Can breeding an EE with a red sex link give me a colored egg? Thinking maybe what the dad EE was mixed with, it there's a possibility of an Olive Egg?
I have had two RSL eggs hatch, that were bred by an EE. One has yellow legs, one has green legs. I've already learned the hard way that those green legs don't mean anything, but most of time they have! Colored eggs from the hens!
There is a small possibility of an olive egg. It depends on how dark the brown egg genes are with the RSL. You may also get some brown eggs because EEs do not always have two blue egg shell genes. Since the RSL will only have white, some of the chicks would have two white egg shell genes so no green eggs for that combination.

Last edited:
Thanks ron. One of the chicks is going to be white..itself. The one is one of those chipmunk babies...with the dark feathering. Green legs though. lol..I can hope.

These 20 wo girls(Welsummer sire over blue laying EE) should be laying any day(or week<rolleyes>) now......
......hoping for a darker green, but might get Welsummer Terra Cotta, either way will be nice to see what they give.
They've been mixing a lot more with the flock instead of hiding in the coop the last week, Woody is paying them more attention just hanging out and I believe at least one of them had submitted to him.

The one on the left has the hens beard and comb, so am hoping that means the blue egg gene passed.
But they all have Wellie legs.....time(siiigh) will tell.

Neat pic you guys, I just hatched 4 chicks in incubator for a friend, 2 EE, one legbar, and a maran. now I have 2 broodies, so I gave one 2 grey eggers, a EE egg, and 3 brown (probably cochin eggs), the other broody got Rock Is. eggs from a carton.

Back
Top Bottom