The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
s
I promised a pic of one of my "blues". After reading all of the comments she may not be. Either way I think she's pretty.

Upon further looking at my young pullers. I think they maybe splashes. They would not cooperate for a picture yesterday
Blues are hard to get right, at she has yellow legs.

Getting Started With Plymouth Rocks

A lot of folks see the high quality of a standard bred Plymouth Rock on this thread and it makes them desire them.
That is a good thing, as breeders really want to see a growing interest in both standard bred birds and their breed as well. The more a breed, and specifically a variety, is shared, the more people that care about the variety the better for the birds' survival. When a variety falls to just a handful of dedicated breeders that variety is endangered.

There are far too many breeds and far too many varieties within those breeds and not enough folks caring for them. There is a lengthy list of breeds/varieties that are in such bad shape, bred by so few talented and dedicated people that they are virtually extinct.

When a new enthusiast gets excited about a breed, they often message folks like us on this thread asking for hatching eggs. There are a few things new folks need to understand.

1. Most breeders do not sell/ship eggs. The PO is brutal on the eggs and low hatch rates gets blamed on the breeder and this is all a really big turn off. Nobody gets rich off selling a few Rock eggs, believe me. It's tough to make it a break even affair, to be honest.

2. The high cost of shipping juveniles turns off people, but in the end, the new person just starting would be much better off with started birds. Money ahead in the long run as well.

3. Breeders are not likely to sell you stock they themselves wish to breed. What you'll get is a start. After that, it is up to you. In a world where people feel entitled, where instant gratification is a wide spread malady, it is important to understand that even if you get a trio from a good breeder, YOU still have have many generations of work to do with your line. Do not expect Nestle's Instant Quick "show quality" (sic) chickens. It doesn't work that way.

4. Breeders are often small scale. Backyarders themselves, really. There isn't an infinite supple of eggs or started chicks. Breeders don't leave their birds in mating situations year 'round. The summers heat is not a great time to be breeding. The birds need time for rest and re-charging. For many breeders, the season is very short and starts quite early in the year. By the time many new folks awaken to the desire for stock, the breeder's pens have long been broken up.

5. Contact a breeder and ask if birds might be available this fall. Some breeders will not part with their juveniles until they've reached 20 weeks or 28 weeks of maturity. They do not wish to part with them too soon. Sometimes arrangements can be made to bring birds to somewhere where an exhibition will be held. This happens with some regularity.

Good Sunday morning to you all. The heat is rising and the mosquitos are brutal. Off to church with my wife and brunch following with some friends. Enjoy your day and enjoy your Plymouth Rocks!!!

Last edited:
Fred I agree with you on the tail. I adore blue feathers though.
After reading the comments I am going to put the 1 blue Andalusian I have in with this girls father and see what I can get. I do want to get I to breeding seriously - however I'm still brand new to all of this. Thank you so much for all the input and I promise to keep asking questions.
I do not expect show quality chickens from what I'm doing now they are just helping me learn some basics.
As for getting some young birds from breeders, that is how I got my first flock of whites. I am making plans to go to the show in Rochester ny this fall with some stock and see how they do

Last edited:
s
I promised a pic of one of my "blues". After reading all of the comments she may not be. Either way I think she's pretty.

Upon further looking at my young pullers. I think they maybe splashes. They would not cooperate for a picture yesterday
I Think you instinct is correct Kinmera, that does not look like a blue, but she is interesting! , and pretty.... almost a wild type maybe?? Who knows what that white daddy is hising....I would not breed her as a rock, but she could help make a colorful layer flock....thanks for posting.......stan
Don't think

Joe, thanks for that pic.

This is a Rock in type. The color is never as important as the type. Always work hard, work first, work always, on the type and allow the color to come to you. This is true of the patterns too. They'll come, but what good is a beautiful paint job on a barn that's about to cave in?

Not saying to ignore your pattern or your color, but paint it onto Rock type. Joe could write a book.

Kinmera, we're excited for you. If there's anything we can do to help along the way, don't hesitate to ask.
smile.png

I think right now my biggest issue is my own learning style. I know what the SOP says a white rock should look like - but I prefer a hands on training lesson in what to keep and what to cull. That's a little hard to come by

Is it okay to breed a white rock with a blue or black orp to get the coloring? Is that what I read above?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom