Morning you all! (or good evening or wherever you are)
Nature has exploded the last two weeks here, from 1 meter snow to grass zooming into the air. We surpassed spring and went straight to summer. Couldn't be happier!

Busy wrangling with birds net for prey protection and, oh my, summer's first chipper (aka broody duck). :th Have to move her somewhere practical. But those mama's are soooo stubborn on where they want their nest to be!

Hi everyone!

Sorry I've been popping in and out trying to catch up. I've been making lots of cold process soap the last few weeks to try and sell on etsy. Our business is still down and I'm incredibly bored... and don't need more poultry! Or do I?

My ducks officially don't look like ducklings anymore. How is it that chicks take what seems like forever to mature and feather out, but you blink and ducks are grown up? I'm still guessing on genders... I'm pretty sure the blue runner is a boy, he has a quieter raspy quack, but honestly I'm not really sure. Alberta Einstein (the crested duck) is definitely female, she is LOUD. She started out as an Albert, but we've recently changed it to Alberta for obvious reasons. When do drake feathers typically come in?

A week and a half ago I bought half a dozen mixed turkey eggs from a local farm to set under one of my broody hens. Unfortunately none of them developed. Boo! No turkeys.
If it rasps like a frog it's a drake.
In this video you can hear a duck quack, then a drake.
Drake feathers sometimes are tricky.

Morning everybody. Small duckling emergency this morning. It's South texas, who expected it to be cold in June. early morning rescue of yesterday's hatchlings. They were outside but 62 is too cold for the heat cave, so let's move the brooder in at 2 am. Then I discovered the bonus ducks shivering. Get out the extra heat cave and set it up. They've never seen one and must think it's a duck processing center. It's now 4 am and the cats and dogs want breakfast. Canning day again today and I have internal pips on my next batch. I'm exhausted and the sun's not up yet. And I added a new adult hen yesterday and need to go out to the barn and see how she faired the night. Oh and one of my hatching needs a hobble, so there is that to take care of. It will be my first time hobbling.

Back
Top Bottom