Hello, everyone. Hope you're all well.

Still undecided on what to do with my new drake. I will say that after a few good soaks/preens he looks quite a bit better in terms of feather quality and everything. He was even feeling good enough to give me a bit of a chase when I was putting him up last night. He was getting around a lot quicker than I thought he'd be able to tbh. Runs out of breath quick though.

Previously I mentioned he does a bit of tail pumping and has a bare spot around his vent. Well, when I picked him up to let him out yesterday, he was doing the little tail wag/pump and I noticed maybe an inch or so of his penis was hanging out. So now I'm thinking he has/had probably suffered a minor prolapse in the past. The Epsom soaks I've been giving him for the bumble have definitely helped with swelling around the vent, but is there anything else I could/should do? Will keeping him separated be enough to stop that from getting worse?
Do you have hydrocortisone ointment? @Quatie rec it for any type of prolapse . I hope he works out so you can keep him.

Here's an updated pic of the two ducklings I hatched a couple of weeks ago. Smokey on the left, Bandit standing up.

1686588137886.jpeg

I've also got four pipped eggs in the incubator, from those that I took from the nest of my girl who disappeared.

Do you have hydrocortisone ointment? @Quatie rec it for any type of prolapse . I hope he works out so you can keep him.

Thanks, I can pick some up. His vent area looks a lot better after a few soaks, but who knows how long it had been swollen before then. Tbh between some of his other missing feathers and his weight I wasn't thinking of a prolapse at first either, but seeing the difference between now and a few days ago it seems pretty obvious he was suffering from one.

Fortunately, everything else down there looked pretty healthy, and I haven't seen anything hanging out since. If his tail wags are any indication, he does go through quite a bit of effort keeping it in though.

Here's an updated pic of the two ducklings I hatched a couple of weeks ago. Smokey on the left, Bandit standing up.

View attachment 3538860

I've also got four pipped eggs in the incubator, from those that I took from the nest of my girl who disappeared.
They are absolutely beautiful!!! What type are they? They remind me of my Mallards but much lighter.

Back
Top Bottom