Anyone preparing for the 2024 Solar Eclipse here in the US on April 8th?
My "NASA certified" eye glasses have just arrived, but i will be more busy to take pictures and videos. The next full eclipse will be in 2045 but not as close to my location as this one. I am planning for the Marion, OH area, just a 3½ hour drive away from here:
View attachment 3785722
I got our glasses from the local Kroger store and we will be able to see it from where we are for about 3 full minutes so we are staying put. We even got the day off school so that the children don't look up while getting on our school buses as it would come around that time.

My "NASA certified" eye glasses have just arrived, but i will be more busy to take pictures and videos. The next full eclipse will be in 2045 but not as close to my location as this one. I am planning for the Marion, OH area, just a 3½ hour drive away from here:
View attachment 3785722
Eclipses are glorious. When the shadow comes flying toward you, the curtains drop and the birds fall silent... Eerie and beautiful. Had one in.. Er... A quarter of a century ago :)

Got one at half price or so it seems (250 ish eur) ... Anyway, all I care about - getting strong healthy ducklings even if I don't do everything just right.
What type are you hatching? I just got my two little Call Ducks from Metzer yesterday and they are so tiny and so cute but they say hard to hatch out. My Mallard duck likes to hatch out babies here and she does a great job. I have used a styrofoam box before with a light bulb and been able to hatch out a few ducklings that way. My incubator was a cheap one and only hatched out two but that is about all I want at one time in the house for weeks at a time.

View attachment 3785722
I don't have glasses yet, don't know if I'll get some. Might just lock myself inside the trailer and hope the aliens that come down when the sun is covered won't notice me. 🛸

What type are you hatching? I just got my two little Call Ducks from Metzer yesterday and they are so tiny and so cute but they say hard to hatch out. My Mallard duck likes to hatch out babies here and she does a great job. I have used a styrofoam box before with a light bulb and been able to hatch out a few ducklings that way. My incubator was a cheap one and only hatched out two but that is about all I want at one time in the house for weeks at a time.
Khakis, we like them, nice character, super layers, under-represented in our country.

My coworker had a flock of about 20. When they were full grown he let them out while he was doing yard work. When he turned around to check on them they were all gone never to be seen again. They never returned and he was so sad that the lost every one of them. He had no idea that after having them so long they would leave him. Can you clip their wings I wonder????
Guineas are the least tamed birds that you can buy here. - Maybe except Partridges and other game fowl. They need to be conditioned to accept their coop and pen as »home« otherwise they will just go rogue. There are some good videos on YT how to raise the keets to stay. That's one of the two reasons why i don't keep guineas. The other reason is my ears…

Last edited:
Eclipses are glorious. When the shadow comes flying toward you, the curtains drop and the birds fall silent... Eerie and beautiful. Had one in.. Er... A quarter of a century ago :)
I dared to take the day off - when my manager realized the reason behind my request he approved it right away. He's lucky, he lives near Dallas, right in the path of the core-shadow.

Back
Top Bottom